PDA

View Full Version : EGCC Controllers can you help

UNDERTHEROSUN1F
24th Apr 2006, 07:15
last night the Malaysian 747 came overhead me in Huddersfield,i heard him on 133.8,a few minutes later he was cleared direct DOLAS,which SID would he have been on,is it usual for traffic to come as north as that before turning,i thought they turned towards DOLAS around the Woodhead area (STOCK ?) and passed over Sheffield.Could it have been because he was heavy and slow climbing ?

Ali Bongo
24th Apr 2006, 12:37
He would have been on a Desig SID. Its not unusual for us to run them slightly further North to avoid other traffic. If I remember correctly as I was on at the time, there was a pile of Leeds inbounds with one from the South being the 'last in the queue', therefore the MAS was kept on a northerly heading to jump the Leeds inbound stuck at FL90. Oh, and there was a trainee on who forgot to turn it back...:eek:

dbounford
24th Apr 2006, 14:21
This might sound a daft question, but I am going through NATS selection at the moment, and this is a question I have wanted to be answered for a while... Having seen the above post mentioning DOLAS, what is DOLAS? Is it some sort of waypoint? And is it the same sort of thing as POLLHILL, MARGO and GASCO (heard these mentioned whilst listening to the old man's airband receiver, apologise if spelling is incorrect!) Just wondering if anyone can help. Ta

Carbide Finger
24th Apr 2006, 14:28
DOLAS is a reporting point.

Reporting points are 5 letters (DOLAS, NIGIT, etc)

Beacons are usually 3 letters (POL - Pole hill, MCT, OCK, etc)

There all in the AIS if you want to have a look at route structures

CF

dbounford
24th Apr 2006, 14:32
the AIS? Some sort of document I presume, anywhere I can get hold of a copy? Thanks

Gonzo
24th Apr 2006, 14:50
www.ais.org.uk

Free to register, have a look at the Aeronautical Information Package

Points such as MARGO, WOBUN, are reporting points, and simply arbitrary positions in space (initially placed on a certain distance and bearing from radio beacons).

dbounford
24th Apr 2006, 16:08
Thanks all

UNDERTHEROSUN1F
25th Apr 2006, 06:32
He would have been on a Desig SID. Its not unusual for us to run them slightly further North to avoid other traffic. If I remember correctly as I was on at the time, there was a pile of Leeds inbounds with one from the South being the 'last in the queue', therefore the MAS was kept on a northerly heading to jump the Leeds inbound stuck at FL90. Oh, and there was a trainee on who forgot to turn it back...:eek:

thanks ali ..