PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructors Manual - Campbell

Jinkster
22nd Apr 2006, 10:50
Just wondered if anyone could recommend the book. I'm thinking of buying it.

:)

NorthSouth
24th Apr 2006, 08:01
The most turgid, uninspiring, impenetrable book I've ever read. Lousy graphics, no index, over-formalised language, bad layout, poor relationship between the sections, no advice on patter, may have been suitable for teaching ex-public school boys in the RAF in the 1920s but very poor quality for today's requirements.

But there's no alternative that I know of! Unfortunately most instructors are too busy instructing to find the time to write a replacement and unless you're palsy-walsy with the right people in AOPA to publish it for you I suspect no commercial publisher would look at it.

NS

Stampe
24th Apr 2006, 08:15
On-Track Aviation at Wellesbourne publish a very comprehensive manual.Not got a copy of it myself but had a look when I did my instructor seminar with them recently seemed very good.My copy of Campbell has served me well for the past 25 years though,written in a rather verbose style though.!!!!

greeners
24th Apr 2006, 09:46
Jinkster

Bear in mind that NorthSouth's comment is probably on the charitable side. The book is so dull and uninspiring that it is almost worthless.

Looking back at the FI course, a very skilled and experienced Instructor (Rod Jarvis) warned me against too much preparation because he was being paid to teach me how to do it properly - and that's exactly what he did. I strongly believe that a well taught course should provide you with everything that you need.

It's a great course - enjoy it!

greeners

P.Pilcher
24th Apr 2006, 20:25
If you think that Ron Campbell's book is bad, then you should have tried using (as I had to) it's predecessor. Compared with this, Ron's offering was like a breath of fresh air!!

P.P.

Dan Winterland
25th Apr 2006, 02:25
Ah, Rod Jarvis. What a gentleman!

Campbell is out of date and very verbose. On Track's maunul is very good, being based on RAF Instructing Manuals. Precise, concise and relevant - it's much better than anything else on the market.