PDA

View Full Version : FI Rating Questions??

pomme pilot
22nd Apr 2006, 10:37
Hi,
I’m thinking about getting my JAA FI rating, but have a couple of questions and concerns.

1. I love flying, and am a little apprehensive that although as an instructor I will be in the air, I will not be flying too much, just demonstration’s. How do current instructors find this?
2. Do many PPL’s get their IMC rating in the UK, and to teach this is it just a basic FI rating and no instrument restriction removed? Understand that as a fresh FI (once off restriction and attained add ons etc), not many CPL’s would want to do IR.
3. I like flying taildraggers and aero’s, do many clubs offer a good mix of joy flights and training flights?
4. Can you afford to live?
5. Are the emplyment prospects still good?
6. Any advice on best FI rating schools?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

sps1013
28th Apr 2006, 20:56
A few "flexible" answers to your questions...
1) As regards actual hands on flying it is quite a bit. You never have every student up to the same exercise everytime so you may have someone at Ex15 - not much hands on but equally you will have people at Ex4i+ii, lots of hands on. Yes there are demo's but remember the better you demo the better the student picks it up!
2) Lots of PPL's do an IMC in this country because it is not valid outside the UK! You need to have the restiction of "no applied instrument flying" removed but LASORS will give you the criteria for removing this. (I have not removed mine yet).
3) It depends where you are. I cant speak for taildraggers and aero's but at my school we have plenty of trial lessons so there is potential for lots of hands on flying and also the possibility of getting the trial lessonist back for a PPL course, hence more flying.
4) It depends again who your school is. My school employs its instructors and we are paid very well. If you are self employed then you may find that during the winter months things can be a little borderline. Perhaps a retainer may be called for but that is a school decision.
5) Yes!!! Good, hardworking and passionate instructors are just what schools are looking for.
6) East Midlands Flight Instructor School based at Nottingham East Midlands Airport, give them a call. The prices are VERY competitive.

Hope this information helps and that you succeed.

Good luck,

sps