PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 brakes

Boeing Pilot
22nd Apr 2006, 10:22
Hello

What are the differences between cat A and cat C brakes on the B737?

Thanks..

Flight Detent
23rd Apr 2006, 05:44
Hi all,
......and category F....

Cheers FD :bored:

rubik101
23rd Apr 2006, 08:54
I flew B737 in the dim distant past and as far as I remember, the diffetrence manifests itself in Stopping/Landing Distances. The table was somewhere in the QRH and/or the Ops manual. The differences were not great I seem to recall.

Flight Detent
24th Apr 2006, 02:54
Errr, thanks rubik 101 ....I think we're aware that the category of the installed brakes will effect the stopping distance, that's what the stopping performance is all about!

What I, for at least one, was referring to was what is the difference in the brakes themselves.

Cheers, FD:ooh:

Boeing Pilot
27th Apr 2006, 18:49
Anybody???

monkey_wrench
1st May 2006, 22:21
Reference the difference between the brake units themselves.... You can fit two different brands of unit on the NG (BF Goodrich or Honeywell (Bendix)). This is normally detrmined at the time of purchase of the aircraft. There are then two different versions of each manufacturers' brake unit dubbed "Standard" and "High Capacity". So, for a 737-700 (assumed MTOW of 155k lbs) you can have a "Standard" BFG brake unit, which is classified as a Cat B Brake. The Honeywell "Standard" unit is classified as a Cat A brake. The High Capacity units for both Manufacturers are Cat F brakes. Note that on a 737-600 the same part number brake units are rated as Cat E, Cat D and Cat D respectively.....
Boeing offers (for a price) non mandatory Service Bulletins which allow an upgrade of Brake units either in change of Manufacturer or between Standard and High Capacity. The Wheels also have to change so it is an expensive business. More details are to be found in Service Letter SL-737-32-101.

vagabond 47
2nd May 2006, 08:38
Heard from someone whom I do not recall that twas to do with;

Weight Saving,
Brake Energy( read Cooling times),
Brake Life.

Boeing Pilot
3rd May 2006, 09:29
Thanks monkey_wrench

Our classics have CAT A brakes and our NGs (800) has CAT C brakes. So I guess the classics have the standard Honeywell brakes and the 800 the Standard" BFG brake unit??

RAT 5
3rd May 2006, 15:30
Are all latest B737 brakes of same material? Steel/Carbon. Does thast have any effect on the category? I've found tables for both in the QRH, but it really is a well kept secret in most of the airlines I've flown with as to which apply. Secondly, if the airline has only 1 type of brake, why not remove the other from the QRH? Confucion will lead to mistakes will lead to..................