PDA

View Full Version : Info regarding Badminton airfield

CMN
21st Apr 2006, 07:44
I have found very little information on the internet such as runway dimensions, but I'm looking for something more specific - preferrably from someone who flies there.

Best regards,

CMN

Fuji Abound
21st Apr 2006, 08:19
Been in there quite a few times.

25/7 1,300 metres, 123.4, PPR required.

If you are thinking of the trials there are arrival departure time restrictions on the cross country days.

Excellent strip always in good condition however on 25 expect sheer and turbulence on the approach and departure with a cross wind from the south. It can be quite pronounced. Seem to remember the strip slopes across the "runway". It is very wide.

Let me know if you require anything further.

CMN
21st Apr 2006, 08:30
Ok, going there on May 5th leaving on the 7th. Coming in a PC-12 and my major concern is soft ground.

Thanks so far!

phnuff
21st Apr 2006, 08:46
Ah going in for the trials then. I took a PA28 in for cross country day some years ago. Have to be there early before the nags set out on the roads and tracks (but that phase has gone now I believe). I can't remember the slope (I always fly with my eyes closed :} ), but I do remember the turbulence on departure. That woke me up !!!

Fuji Abound
21st Apr 2006, 10:38
Ah - soft ground - well a PC-12 is not too heavy but .. .. ..

rain is a rather unpredicatable though :) .

From memory the soil is clay and after rain I suspect it gets rather soft. I seem to remember the eastern end of the field is lower and is inclined to accumulate any run off water. Of course the only way to be sure would be a call beforehand. His lordship operated a twin out of there for many years (maybe still does).

Alternatively Bristol Filton is only 15 minutes away - M4, A46. You shouldnt have too many problems there! - but watch the weekend opening hours - after 10-00 am local I believe and strictly PPR - no ILS at the weekend either, but sometimes you will find it is on.

Colerne which has a hard runway(s) is the other alternative - about the same distance on the edge of the Lyneham MATZ.

mlr108
21st Apr 2006, 15:20
CMN Strip is good at moment but dries quite well and I will be there for period of Horse trials send me a PM if you need any specifics. Regards