PDA

View Full Version : Flight simulator for IMC

waldopepper42
17th Apr 2006, 16:12
I'm sure this has been asked before, but computer software is very much a moving target so I'm interested in what's new today...

I have my IMC renewal coming up next week, so can any of you guys recommend flight simulator software that I can use to practice? My test is likely to involve approaches into Doncaster-Finningley so the airport directory will need to be pretty much up to date.

Thanks in anticipation, WP.

dirkdj
17th Apr 2006, 16:52
Give X-Plane a try (google it), you can download it and it will run for 6 minutes before displaying a nagging screen. It will run on Windows, Mac and Linux. The faster your computer the better. You can simulate any instrument failure you like. You may want to reduce the control authority a bit.

FlyingForFun
17th Apr 2006, 19:27
Microsoft Flight Sim - not much more than a toy in most respects, but very useful for IMC stuff.

The biggest problem with MSFS - and this will apply to any PC-based simulator - is the feedback from the controls. At work we've got a professional yoke and rudder pedals, with a trim wheel which provides force through the control column, so it's a far more realistic feel than the joystick you've probably got at home, but it's absolutely nothing like a real aeroplane. But a great tool which I use with some of my IMC students, particular when they're struggling to understand something, and if you've got a rating but just want to keep in practice without paying for a real aircraft it'll certainly get your scan going.

FFF
------------

172driver
17th Apr 2006, 22:29
Suggest you get X-plane @ www.x-plane.com

You'll need the CD to run it out of demo mode (in which it will also not let you fly outside southern CA), so may be too late for your test next week, but it's a great program. At about $ 50,- a steal and - associated with the right hardware - approved for training in the US.

Agree with FFF re control 'feel / feedback' but that's what you go flying in an airplane for ;)

High Wing Drifter
18th Apr 2006, 08:30
From my personal experience, IMC PC practice is primarily about situational awareness, process and procedures. The actual flying skills such as unusuall attitudes, partial panel, etc can't be practiced on a PC properly because you'll find that the instruments don't really behave as they do for real and you don't suffer from the leans and the avionics are poorly represented (unless you spend more time and money), etc. Although, to be fair, you can practice your scan, but personally I found that the least of my problems.

With that in mind and as you mention approaches if you find you are like minded, I recommend you investigate RANT (www.oddsoft.co.uk). It simulates all the essential elements with minimum fuss complete with tutorials and exercises too. Just not hands on stick. It may not be for you, but I found it very useful.

DRJAD
18th Apr 2006, 08:53
I, too, recommend RANT from experience.

(Of it, I hasten to add, not of X-Plane. I did try MSFS, but found it too fussy and distracting for what I wanted.)

waldopepper42
18th Apr 2006, 11:00
Many thanks guys (and/or girls!). I'll certainly be having a look at those on the internet. I agree that it won't help with "feel" and recovery from unusual attitudes etc, but I think it is useful for practicing holds and approaches where getting the spatial awareness and scan going is the most important.

Thanks again, WP.

mark147
18th Apr 2006, 13:01
There's also this free flight sim for Windows, specifically designed for IMC training:
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:Z8YXZXcRCG4J:airlines.afriqonline.com/download.htm+proflight-professional&hl=en&lr=&strip=1
It used to be a commercial product but the authors then released it for free.
It has some annoying features but I find it very good for practising interpreting navaids and flying procedural approaches.
It won't have Robin Hood Finningly Doncaster Sheffield Intergalactic Spaceport in its database but you can easily add it.
Unfortunately, the actual web site has disappeared (hence the google cache result above). The licence does allow it to be freely distributed though so if you want a copy, PM me.
Mark