PDA

View Full Version : PPL at OBA

Sean H
12th Apr 2006, 12:28
As Im going over to OBA very soon to get my JAA PPL, I would like so advice from ye ex-students!
How much study should i be doing?
How many exams should I do in my first week?
Whats the story in getting a bike for myself?
Whats the story with getting lunch at this so-called golf course I heard about through the forum? Do I need club membership??
Taxis?
What should I budget spending per day?food drink etc? I wont be going out to any pubs over there as im too young to!
Any other help would be greatly taken!
Thanks a million,
Sean.

strafer
12th Apr 2006, 12:41
Sean,

I went 4 years ago (when they had a kitchen and a Bernadette!), but:

"How much study should i be doing?" - If you've done none before (as I did) the answer is 'a lot'. You've got 7 written exams to pass, so you will be either studying or flying the whole day. There's also 4 'night-school' lectures. Plans to take the relevant exams as soon as possible after the relevant lecture. But basically, the harder you work in week one/two, the easier week three is.

Re food and drink - there are a couple of expeditions a week to the local Wal-Mart. Stock up there (dirt cheap compared to UK/Ireland). Get one of the older blokes to grap a six-pack or two for you. You are however old enough to buy a rifle there, should you want one!

Best bit of advice is this - When you get there, you'll find other students getting to the end of their course, others like you at the start. By far the best way of working out what the SP is, is to talk to them.

Paris Dakar
12th Apr 2006, 13:01
Sean H,

I went there 'cold' and if I could have done anything different I would have done some ground schooling before flying out.

The best way to plan your time there is to make sure that you don't tail-end load your course. By that I mean, try to get as much done as early as you just in case the weather decides it doesn't want to play and you end up adding additional pressure to yourself.

I also built in an extra week - just in case I was too much of a div and couldn't take it all in. As it turned out, I was all done and dusted in the 21 days so I used my last week to take in the delights of Key West and Miami.

When I was there several weeks ago there appeared to be a fair few bikes lying around doing nothing? Check with the students who are there.

I never went to the Golf club so I can't comment I'm afraid. I always had a good bowl of cereal each day to set me up for the morning and then grabbed a light snack later. Ready-to-heat fast food is available at the school - I would imagine that $10 - $15 a day would cover it but I dare say those with a posher palate than my Geordie one may not agree.

I can say hand on heart that I never had a beer until I passed my GFT - I made up for it later mind you!

Taxis - club together with a few other students and combine trips, if someone has a car then chip in a few bucks for the gas.

Finally, prepare to graft your nuts off, meet some great people, have a wonderful life changing experience, get a PPL, and have something to tell your grand kids about in years to come :ok: .

Sean H
12th Apr 2006, 13:09
Thanks guys for the advice!
Id say ill be alright at the exams as I have the IAA JAA PPL ones done already,but as OBA is CAA, I gota do them again:ugh: .
When i return to Ireland with my JAA/CAA PPL ON THE C150, how many hours rufly would it take me to convert to a C172, as thats what my local club operates?
Cheers :ok:

gcolyer
12th Apr 2006, 14:21
Sean H

I would try to do 3 JAA exams in the first week and the FAA pre-solo, i would then try to do a minimum of 3 JAA exams in the second week. That leave one exam for week 3. it will be hard though as you will have flight planning to do most nights for week two and some of week three. Once you start the night flying I would use the days (if you are not flying) to study and sit exams.

As for the golf course, just walk in and grab a table. they will give you a card to have stamped everytime you have a meal. After 7 stamps (i think) you will get a free meal. The meals will cost you on average $8 including a drink.

When i was there at christmas there were a few bikes doing nothing. best bet is to ask students if there is any spare. Take a puncture repair kit with you as there was 4 bikes at christmas not being used as they had punctures. We were just to busy or lazy to repair them.

Cabs are are about $18 to and from Walmart. Can't remember how much to Daytona. It is best to plan group trips.

Paris Dakar
12th Apr 2006, 15:34
Sean H,

When i return to Ireland with my JAA/CAA PPL ON THE C150, how many hours rufly would it take me to convert to a C172

When I returned from OBA I didn't fly for 6 months, I joined the recently defunct Newcastle Aero Club and I was checked out within the hour on a PA28 (I'd never flown one before). I did an additional hour too just so I was entirely happy with the 'booking out' arrangements and departure/joining instructions for EGNT - but that was it.

There are those who post on PPRuNe who would let you believe that you will need dozens of additional hours on your return to the UK! Total :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

PD:ok:

Sean H
13th Apr 2006, 12:20
What will the Weather be like in June for PPL training? any 1 here done it in the month of june???

mcgoo
13th Apr 2006, 14:17
sean have you looked at OBA's website, a lot of your queries can be answered there!

A.Einstein
13th Apr 2006, 14:22
Sean
You will have no problems flying a 172 after the 150, The 172 is a much more stable aircraft, as it has a bit more weight and power. Infact your problems usually happen when you revert back to the 150, as you tend to forget that the 150 will not do all the things that the 172 will do, like climb in a hurry. Usually as you advance up through the types of aircraft, the response and power just get better and better .The only stumbling block is the unforgivingness of more advanced aircraft, make a mistake and you are liable to pay for it. 150s are very forgiving, thats why they use them for training. The 172, is forgiving too , try stalling one and youll find out that its takes some effort or total stupidity to get it to actually stall.
I also recommend that if you read the first 3 Trevor Thom books you will be well prepared for your exams. Enjoy learn and prosper

Sean H
13th Apr 2006, 17:25
Thanks Einstine!
Mcgoo I have looked at OBA's site,but now im looking for ex-students opions as I stated above.
Sorry bout the confusion.
Keep it safe up there!
Sean :ok:

colette
13th Apr 2006, 22:23
Hey Sean, Im just back from OBA, the weathers pretty warm at the moment so im guessing by the time June comes round it'll be even more roasting! I managed to get sunburnt even just preflighting! Definitely do loads of studying now, if possible get a few exams out the way before you go over, and if not then try to get them out the way asap when you get there because by the time your solo / cross country flying starts the last thing you need is to be constantly studying too. In 3 weeks there I know of at least 4 people who were sitting their Nav exam just hours before their skills test! It can all get pretty stressful if you leave the exams too long.

As for bikes just grab one, though chances are wherever it is you're staying they'll already have a few stashed in the garden. You dont need club membership to eat at the golf club. Its really nice and you get a decent lunch for about $7. I didnt budget per day for food/drink, about 6 of us lived together and we'd just go to walmart n all chip in for all our food and then eat whatever, worked out pretty cheap that way and lasted ages.

If you got anymore questions feel free to pm,
colette :D

macsharon
14th Apr 2006, 21:35
Hi Colette,
Assume you got back safely from Boston? How were the relatives? :)
Sean, I agree with Colette - a few things to know to give you a head-start at OBA:

Do as many exams as possible before you get there - it might cost a little more, but worth it to take away some of the stress
Get yourself a PPL Confuser - all the exam questions, a real life-saver
Make sure you finish ALL your exams before going into your final week - the final week is very hectic (cross-countries, night rating, RT test etc). You'll be absolutely exhausted otherwise
Take $260 cash for deposits, plus $30 cash for cleaning fees
I had an excellent time at OBA - it's a bit like the 'Ronseal' advert, it does exactly what it says on the tin. You have to work hard and in return the school will work hard to get you through your course, but muck them around and you'll get hung by the short and curlies!Good luck and enjoy yourself! :ok:

Bug-smasher B
14th Apr 2006, 22:01
I attended OBA for my JAA PPL and night rating at the same time as The Flying Dutchman and I can both confirm and agree with what he has written.

On the subject of Mr. AT; I carried out my RT examination and skills test with him and found him to be direct speaking and up front (a quality I respect), but not nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. Certainly he doesn't suffer fools gladly and has little patience for those who expect to gain a PPL without putting in the effort. Don't expect to be best buddies if you do something that compromises safety or violates regulations.

I had decided to take all my exams at OBA because I had some prior knowledge of aircraft systems and performance, but had still allowed extra time in which to do so. Even so it turned out to be tough going to get them all done and the last week was difficult. I was one of the people that was sitting my Nav exam the day of the skills test, as Colette mentioned. If you decide to take all the exams while there then if possible allow extra time and don't expect to be partying too much. And remember, factor 50 sunblock is your friend.

I have personally never taken instruction at any other FTO but I don't feel that my level of tuition was less than if I had taken training in the UK or Ireland. I mean we took the very same written examination as european trained students with the same 75% pass mark. The emphasis is on self discipline, and self study in conjunction with the provided lectures. Flying is not all about stick and rudder, when you are solo knowledge is your co-pilot. I would like to extend my thanks to EchoMike on this point - he has imparted more information than is technically required for the exams but which may some day lead to my avoiding arrival at the scene of the accident, which is nice.

On top of everything that has been mentioned throughout the thread I will just add one point. When planning financing for your PPL please remember to add the CAA application fees of about £150 and another £150 for your class 2 medical and yet another £80 in order to have your night rating added to your ticket. For those who intend flying in Ireland I have been led to believe that the IAA frown upon PPL night flying here, anyone care to clarify this?. It's a shame if that is the case as this was the most enjoyable part for me of flying in the US.

(Welcome home Scottish ladies)

Sean H
15th Apr 2006, 13:13
Thanks guys and gals!!!!!!
Im going for 4weeks...I added extra week for safety really!
Ill do the exams over there!
Is it best to bring cash or traveler checks?
Thanks again :ok:

smith
15th Apr 2006, 14:04
Sean H

AFAIK you will have to pay for an extra week's accom. The price only inclides accom for 3 weeks.

Bug-smasher B
16th Apr 2006, 13:45
Sean H

AFAIK you will have to pay for an extra week's accom. The price only includes accom for 3 weeks.
This is true, but at about $26 per night it won't be that much. I would suggest that if you have a credit card you can pre-load it and use that for payments. Virtually everywhere will accept the major credit cards (except for American Express oddly) and it's a lot less hassle than trying to cash checks. The school has an ATM on site and you can withdraw cash using your credit card. If you use the plastic without pre-loading it you will get charged with extortionate interest.

If you do get finished within the time limit you can always buy extra time, for the Cessna-150 this works out at about £40 per hour wet (basic rental cost) and is about the cheapest flying you'll get. In order to really go anywhere other than than Ormond you may want to rent a car because the public transport is virtually useless. This only applies if you are over 24 , otherwise you can't rent. The school can supply a rental for $50 a day (excluding gas) but don't expect anything too fancy. Don't rent one at the airports because their prices are higher to get the tourists, there are loads of rental agencies around town. Also be aware that the prices quoted online do not include insurance ($160 approx) or VAT at 6.5%, so the total cost may be about $350 a week. It is possible to go Rent-a-wreck for about $100 per week.

Paris Dakar
16th Apr 2006, 15:51
Sean H,

Whilst 'Bug-smasher B' is quite right about credit cards, may I just add something about Amex. They had a deal on a few months ago whereby you go into a travel agent and get one of their debit-type cards. If you placed £500 on the card they gave you a $100 free (I think that was the amount).

The card is meant to take over from travellers cheques, can be used in shops/restaurants (that accept AE) and ATM machines.

Just a thought.

MrHorgy
17th Apr 2006, 10:12
Also, be wary about just drawing money off your credit card - better take your debit card, but check with your bank it'll be accepted. I didn't have any problems with good 'ole Switch/Maestro, but best to be sure. You don't wanna be hammered by a cash advance APR of 22.9% and 2% of withdrawal as a fee!

Horgy

Bug-smasher B
17th Apr 2006, 13:41
Also, be wary about just drawing money off your credit card - better take your debit card, but check with your bank it'll be accepted. I didn't have any problems with good 'ole Switch/Maestro, but best to be sure. You don't wanna be hammered by a cash advance APR of 22.9% and 2% of withdrawal as a fee!

Horgy
That should work just fine. My brother used his bank debit card with no problems.
With the credit card, I had transfered money onto the card so it was in the black. I wasn't charged any fees or interest because I wasn't using a credit facility. Also be aware that if you want to use the credit card to pay the school fees they may pass the Visa tranaction fees onto you, so you might end up paying an extra 4%. See what alternative methods they offer for payment.