PDA

View Full Version : DIY Electronic Logbook -- validity to the UK CAA

Dimensional
16th Apr 2006, 12:40
Does anyone have definitive knowledge (preferably a reference somewhere) as to whether home-grown electronic logbooks are acceptable to the UK CAA?

I've got an Excel spreadsheet to my own design (roughly based on the RAF's logbook -- F414) which meets the requirements of the ANO (Part IV Sect 35 for those legal eagles amongst you). The only problems are that a chunk of my flying doesn't have Takeoff or Landing times logged, and that quite a lot of it (well over half) is subject to a 0:10 taxy time allowance. Plus, I'd have to write in about fourty entries into my hardback logbook I've held since my PPL days, which I'm loathe to do.

I'm shortly going to be applying for my IMCR, so I'm interested to find out what the CAA's stance is...

I did try a search, but it only threw up one thread about commercial off-the-shelf products and didn't actually contain an answer...;)

Edited to add: I have fired off an e-mail to the CAA, but a) it's the Easter weekend and b) last time I tried to get an answer out of them it took three weeks and two telephone calls...

--D

IO540
16th Apr 2006, 17:51
The ANO does not require a paper logbook.

It doesn't require paper charts either :O

bookworm
16th Apr 2006, 18:26
Yes, home-grown electronic logbooks are acceptable to the UK CAA, provided they meet the requirements of Art 35. Section A17 of LASORs refers. You need to print and sign each relevant page that you submit.

Gnirren
24th Apr 2006, 13:43
So I can use a computer logbook only, and back it up? The only time I need to print it is basically to show it to authorities, in which case it needs to be signed on each page?

Sounds great to me, I hate paper logbooks. I thought you needed one for signatures from instructors and checkrides and all that good stuff though?

IO540
24th Apr 2006, 13:58
Much depends on what you want a logbook for.

I know a man who has been flying, mostly as a passenger, for about 40 years. He logs all his flights, in a massive dog-eared logbook going back to the 1960s. Is it worth anything? No.

People go to the CAA "safety" seminars and eagerly queue up at the end like a load of teenage groupies to get the CAA man to rubber stamp their logbook. Is this worth anything? No.

But let's say you want to do an IR one day, or a CPL (FAA or JAA). These have a mass of very specific training requirements, night flights, etc. You will be grateful for every single bit of dual training you ever had, and for the instructor's notes and his instructor number and signature next to it.

That's why I use a paper logbook. By the time one has printed off each sheet and got the instructor to sign it, it's just as easy.

Gnirren
24th Apr 2006, 14:12
I guess so, I already have the JAA FATPL and pretty much all the FAA ratings except the ATP so that's not too important for me. I'd just like to take the paper books I have and transfer all hours to the pc and then just store the books somewhere and log electronic from now on. I doubt I'll be logging much dual received in the states from now on.

robin
24th Apr 2006, 14:30
I had the pleasure of reading Guy Gibsons logbook recently. It was only a copy, but wonderful stuff.

The thought of seeing something like that on an Excel spreadsheet would remove all joy in seeing the career of a pilot written down.

My logbooks are not just a list of flights. They contain notes and pictures, barograph traces from gliding flights and other momentos

Yes, go ahead an use an electronic logbook for analysis - I have a separate one for that purpose, but for heaven's sake, keep a paper logbook - life isn't about efficiency, and as pilots we should celebrate each and every flight

bookworm
24th Apr 2006, 16:03
Yes. But can you not share the celebration of every flight even more easily using the technology of the 21st century?

http://www.polestaraviation.com/ is a superb example.

BTW, I found the ability to run a highlighter pen over my printout made it very easy to persuade the CAA of my meeting those very specific training requirements last time I had to do so.

Dimensional
24th Apr 2006, 16:09
My problem is that I have many 'paper' logbooks that are all seperate (and, unfortunately, I can't combine them). The computerised one is simply an amalgamation, allowing me to show at a glance all the flying I've done to date. You're quite right, though, on the joy of a proper, hardbacked logbook as a memento, and I fully intend to keep mine around as long as I can. It's just not entirely practical in my current circumstances.