PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructing in US or UK??

Sainty43
16th Apr 2006, 10:08
Hey all,

Once I finish my PPL (anyday now) I assume I can go straight on to get my instructor licsence??

If so which country is better pay wise US or UK?

And can you instruct in the USA or would you have to get a US instructor's liscence??

Many thanks

Sainty

Han 1st Solo
17th Apr 2006, 22:51
Hi there sainty.

As far as the UK is concerned if you want to get paid for instructing then you have a long and expensive road ahead. First you are going to have to do the ATPL ground exams, get 150 hours total, 100 P1 before getting a comercial pilots licence you'll need 200 hours to get it issued. Then you'll need to do an FI rating before you can instruct. Best thing to do is read Lasors as that will tell you exactly what requirements you are going to need. Don't know the US requirements but i'd hazard a guess they are similar. Can't comment on pay comparisons but in the UK it varies, but generally they aren't that good.

Hope that helps,

Han.

GusHoneybun
17th Apr 2006, 23:24
sainty,

it's great to see such enthusiasm. but there is a dont run before you can walk thing here. take note of the above post. top bit of advice given is to get a copy of lasors and inwardly digest the contents. tis available free from the CAA website. it will give you a greater understanding of how difficult/rewarding this industry is.
as for working the states, they require pretty much the same level of experience as the UK before they let you loose as an instructor. the only befenit to the states is the relatively lower cost of training. however, unless you have the right to work, or can secure the relevent visa, you cannot work there.
to work in europe you need a JAA licence. to work in the states you need a FAA licence. you cannot work in the USA on a JAA licence, you will need a FAA licence, and vica versa.

best thing you can do is talk to your instructor. they will have trodden the path you want to take and will be happy to explain what is required.

good luck anyhoo.

rudestuff
18th Apr 2006, 22:13
If you want to instruct in the US you will need to get your FAA Commercial - which means 250 hours TT. In addition, you will need to get your FAA IR beore you can become a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI)
To become a CFI you have to take another two written tests and prove you can teach in a classroom before a check ride with the FAA dude.
(I had a 9 hour oral exam before he was satisfied and let me fly - do it with a designated pilot examiner instead of the FAA and you should get an easier time of it, although the FAA like to do as many as they can.)

If you get your PPL you'll be about 10% of the way there. If you've got a truckload of money and free time, you'll probably be a CFI in six months give or take. Then you'll be qualified to make less money than the Ugliest girl serving you at your local Hooters.

Good luck!

Sainty43
19th Apr 2006, 17:11
Wow lot harder than I thought!

I will get myself a copy of lasors and have a read!

Many thanks,

Sainty

rudestuff
19th Apr 2006, 22:23
Oh yeah, If you want to read up on the FAA Regs - get a copy of the FAR/AIM - kind of like LASORS. you can download it or read parts online.
Part 61 refers to pilot certification and will tell you exactly what you need for each certificate. I have no clue about LASORS im afraid - you're on your own on that one!

autoranger
26th Apr 2006, 02:24
Rudestuff

I think you will find that you can become a CFI without holding an FAA IR!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Keygrip
26th Apr 2006, 02:32
autoranger - I think that you'll find you can't.

autoranger
28th Apr 2006, 23:52
Keygrip

You will find that you CAN be a CFI without an IR if you hold a rotorcraft helicopter CFI certificate! This is a prime example of vague posts assuming that everybody is talking about aeroplanes. I agree that you need an FAA IR to hold an aeroplane CFI certificate but there are other aircraft out there you know!

Autoranger:cool: :cool: :cool:

WrongWayCorrigan
1st May 2006, 03:53
what a pedant

rudestuff
20th May 2006, 17:02
Autoranger is correct. Since this is not in the Rotorheads forum - silly me - I assumed we were talking about planes...

I did PPL > CPL > CFI in helicopters

But with fixed wing theres an extra 100hrs to do so it makes sense to me to get an IR on the way just for thecost of instruction

Whopity
28th May 2006, 17:15
Sainty43

To work in the USA you need the appropriate VISA and the right to work there, probably much harder than getting the flying qualifications!