PDA

View Full Version : How much do Instructors earn?

Cirrus_Clouds
15th Apr 2006, 23:00
I am looking at the possibility of becoming a flight instructor in the future as I gradually work towards a hopeful airline job.How much per hour do Flight Instructors earn? ....I have a feeling it's around £10/hr.After seeing instructors in the flying club here in the UK limited quite a bit due to low cloud and good old *rap british weather, it's only something I would consider doing along side another job.Any info much appreciated.

Oxeagle
15th Apr 2006, 23:08
Hi Cirrus,
I can only speak of my club as I don't have any experience of flying at other clubs, but the instructors at my club (Enstone) get paid £20 per hour, but like you said our oh so unpredictable british weather tends to keep the club's aircraft grounded a lot.

Cirrus_Clouds
15th Apr 2006, 23:23
Ah ok, better than I initally thought then; I guess it varies from location to location - like most jobs.

Kickatinalong
17th Apr 2006, 11:04
Cirrus,
The best piece of info. for you thinking about becoming an Instructor is buy a 6' X 2' mirror and put it up on your bedroom door , THEN WATCH YOURSELF SLOWLY STARVE TO DEATH.AT OUR CLUB THEY PAY $55.00/ HR.
Good Luck.
Kickatinalong:ok:

jammydonut
17th Apr 2006, 11:53
Whats the deal with rates teaching ground school?

IMC007
17th Apr 2006, 12:11
At my previous school in Hertfordshire the flying instructors were paid £15 per day retainer and also £15 per flying hour, if you taught ground school for an hour that was also paid at £15 per hour. Other instructors who were not on a retainer were paid £20 per flying hour.

I completed 700 hours in 11 months and earned just over £15k this is pre tax, you will find most instructors are self employed and must sort out tax, NI etc themsleves.

Hope that helps.