PDA

View Full Version : PFA Kitfox for low hour PPL? Tailwheel endorsement?

al_uk
15th Apr 2006, 21:25
Hi, I may have the opportunity to buy a half share in a Kitfox, and am trying to decide if this is a good idea for me.
I have around 100 hours total on an FAA PPL in a C172.
I am in the UK, and going for a flight in it tomorrow.
The Kitfox is a Permit type (not microlight) so I believe I can fly it directly on my FAA license (after differences training), without having to do the NPPL.
Questions:-
I would need to get a tailwheel signoff in my logbook - Does this need to be done by an FAA instructor, or can a JAA instructor provide the endorsement?
Is this a reasonable step from a C172?
What other types should I be looking at for similar money?
Anyone have any tips or points to watch out for when considering this airplane?
Cheers,
Al

foxmoth
16th Apr 2006, 09:29
With an FAA licence I am not sure of the answers to those questions, probably needs doing by an FAA qualified person. As far as the Kitfox goes I do not see any reason not to do this if you are happy to go from "driving" an aircraft to flying one.:ok:

al_uk
18th Apr 2006, 18:24
Well, I've decided to buy the share :-) Had a test flight, and enjoyed it!
Looking forward to converting...
Anyone any ideas about whether a CAA instructor can give me the endorsement?

Genghis the Engineer
19th Apr 2006, 06:59
The Kitfox is a very small, light and twitchy aeroplane. It may legally be a light aeroplane, but in reality it's much more a microlight than anything else. By comparison the typical group A tailwheel trainer - a Super Cub for example - is quite big and stable (and a C172 is closer to a 747 in handling). Certainly whilst a perfectly safe aeroplane, there's lots about it that will be unfamiliar.

So, what you really should do is speak to PFA and get them to find one of their local coaching scheme people to help convert you onto the Kitfox. These chaps are the real experts on flying twitchy little taildraggers and it'll be an investment that'll do wonders to ensure your early flying in it is safe and stress-free. I'll bet with a little effort they can find one who is also an FAA instructor and can do that sign-off.

But no, somebody who is "only" a JAA instructor can't (you can't even do your BFR with a JAA instructor).

G

al_uk
19th Apr 2006, 08:06
Hi Genghis, thanks for the info,

It is actually based at a microlight strip, and is "big" by their standards! I have found an experienced instructor who owns one who may be able to do my conversion.

I felt much more 'connected' to what it was doing, than the 172 :-)

Al

Genghis the Engineer
19th Apr 2006, 13:07
The best approach might then be to go and do the minimum for a legal sign-off to keep the legalities happy, then *really* learn to fly it with the local microlight instructor.

G