View Full Version : A320 questions

gsmini320
13th Apr 2006, 22:37
:rolleyes: I am a new member with urgent questions about the A320.
Have been wondering why during TO the engines are not supplied by the CTR tanks.
The other question is about the hydraulics. In the occasion you don't have green hydraulics there is no NWS, how can you land safely? Using brakes? What happens if you have no braking?
Might be stupid questions. Well in that case they are, there must be simple answers.
I will appreciate a response.

Hand Solo
13th Apr 2006, 22:54
Don't know about the fuel pumps but I always assumed it was because if you had a major pump failure the engines could gravity feed from the wing tanks.

In the absence of NSW the rudder is effective down to about 60 kts from which time differential braking should be enough to keep you on the runway. If you have no braking then you've lost both green and yellow hydraulic systems and braking on the runway is the least of your problems.

F2 Driver
14th Apr 2006, 10:20
As I understand:
The Fuel tanks empty in the following sequence:
1.Centre tanks
2.Inner tanks(down to 750kg in each tank)
3.Outer tanks(fuel transfered into inner tanks)
However, on the ground when the slats are deployed before and during take off, the fuel is fed from the inner tanks to the engine and to the IDGs to cool them.

gsmini320
18th Apr 2006, 12:34
Thanks for the response Hand Solo and F2 Driver.
This really is a great forum!
Hold on, there might me more questions popping.

Gsmini320

gsmini320
18th Apr 2006, 12:38
:) Thanks for the reply Hand Solo and F2 Driver.
This clarifies a lot, great forum!
Hold on, there might be more questions popping up.

Gsmini320

Anup Singh
18th Apr 2006, 14:27
The centre tanks pumps run only when slats are retracted to prevent engine flame out due fuel contamination during take off. Most of the time due to short sector flying fuel is not filled in centre tanks, therefore the chances of contamination are high. As it is the return fuel from the centre tanks are diverted to the main tanks, hence the cooling of IDG's is always done.