PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737NG - Lower DU

VSB1976
13th Apr 2006, 20:55
April 13th, 2006

Dear fellows

I have a question regarding the Lower DU of the Boeing 737NG with "Glass Cockpit' mode, that one similar to the Boeing 777.

The Lower DU can present, when the button SYS is pressed, some systems information. These information can be:

1. Hydraulics quantity and pressure (standard);
2. Flight surfaces position (optional) and;
3. Brakes temperature (optional).

I have seen many pictures presenting the 1. and 2. items, but I have never seen the presentation of the 3. item.

Do you know in which way it is showed? Does anyone have a photo of it? Is it presented together with the 1. and 2.?

Thank you!

Happy Easter!

F/O Vicente Bresolin
Boeing 727F, VLO

VSB1976
24th Apr 2006, 05:14
April 24th, 2006

Dear fellows

I've found the answer!

Look at the Lower DU of this American Trans Air - ATA cockpit:

http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00397976&size=large

There you can see the Hydraulics Quantity and Pressure square on top; the Brakes temperature indicator on the middle; and the Flight surfaces position indicator on the bottom.

Does any other airline use this configuration?

Best regards

F/O Vicente Bresolin
Boeing 727F, VLO

Flight Detent
24th Apr 2006, 12:12
I dunno, we don't have a lower DU in our NGs!

Cheers, FD :uhoh:

BOAC
24th Apr 2006, 12:25
In mine, hydraulics OR engines. It will be a simple 'pin selection' somehwere in the black boxes.

uniuniunium
24th Apr 2006, 12:33
I dunno, we don't have a lower DU in our NGs!
Cheers, FD :uhoh:
Is it simply inop, or actually nonexistant? I was under the impression that the companies not using the lower DU (WN, GOL, etc) still had it installed for the sake of a backup.

VSB1976
24th Apr 2006, 18:41
April 24th, 2006

Dear fellows

There are two tipes of LCD presentations on the 737NG:

1. "Glass Cockpit", similar to that of the Boeing 777;
2. "Traditional", similar to the instrument positions of the 737 "Classic".

The 2. allows a common type rating with the 737 "Classic" (unless in Brazil).

On the 1. option, the Lower DU may present, other than engine indications (ENG button on MFD), systems indications (SYS button on MFD) - standard Hydraulics, optional Flight surfaces and/or Brake temperatures.

Some airlines uses the Lower DU only as backup, keeping it without any information during normal operation.

In Brazil, VARIG and Gol use the 2. option. At VARIG, the same flight crew flies the 737 "Classical" and the 737NG.

Best regards

F/O Vicente Bresolin
Boeing 727F, VLO

Flight Detent
25th Apr 2006, 10:40
Hi all,

Uniuniunium.....
Yes, our NGs don't have any lower DU at all, only the 5 screens. This means, of course, that we only have one rotary selector for the DUs, above the PFD/ND.
We do still retain the SYS and ENG selections, shown on the inbd DUs, as we do both primary and secondary engine indications.
...but then again, we do also have a fuel jettison system!
It's an interesting bird, generally speaking.

Another screen replaces the lower DU, for an entirely different purpose.

Cheers, FD :E

Contract Con
25th Apr 2006, 22:48
Gday FD,

Do you fly PFD/ND and use the "side by side" engine instrument display on your centre DU, or do you fly the old style EFIS/MAP display?

Your NG doesnt have a rather large antenna on the roof does it?:cool:

Cheers,

Con:ok:

Flight Detent
26th Apr 2006, 02:00
Hi CC,
I'm not real sure what you mean by 'side by side', we have the compacted engine display, and run that together with the PFD/ND, normally.

And.....yes!

Cheers, FD :sad:

Contract Con
26th Apr 2006, 02:44
Gday,

Understood.

If you check out your Boeing "Vol 2" Chapter 7, 7.10.1 it shows the "side by side".

Enjoy the new machine:}

Cheers,

Con:ok: