View Full Version : airside driving licence/permit, how do I acquire one?

notdavegorman
12th Apr 2006, 16:08
How problematic would it be for an ATPL holder to get the necessary licence/permit to drive airside? [in the UK I should add for international readers]

ultimatepro63
12th Apr 2006, 16:51
Dont know but i guess you would have to get in contact with BAA

Spitoon
12th Apr 2006, 17:38
If you've got a legitimate reason for needing one, I can't see that you'd have any problems. It usually involves a test to ensure that you know the rules, where you can go etc. and, sometimes, a driving test.

If you haven't got a good reason.......forget it!

mad_jock
12th Apr 2006, 17:52
Its done airport to airport ie if your valid in one your not in another.

There is usually some sort of theory test followed by a quick road test around the apron but it all depends on the airport mafia. The test should be done on a local procedure book which may not be what you expect. Its written by some ground person and might not have been checked by ATC. So some things might not be as you expect them as a pilot.

As spitoon says if you need one you will get it with no problem. It doesn't add anything to your CV as a pilot and if included would look decidedly odd.

ROSCO328
12th Apr 2006, 19:20
Having been a dispatcher previously you will be required to watch a lengthy video on airside conduct then sit a written test followed by an airside test for initial issue.Like other posts have said you will require a valid reason to obtain one i.e catering/engineer/fueller/dispatcher or baggage handler and also major insurance.Hope this helps.:)

Bern Oulli
12th Apr 2006, 19:29
Ah yes, third party insurance cover. When I last drove airside (long time ago) it was £5million. I wonder what it is now?

Spitoon
12th Apr 2006, 19:54
I might be wrong but the last time I was involved at a big UK airport (before it had a second runway), I seem to recall that £250 million cover was required. The explanation being you needed that amount of cover in case you caused to 747s to collide.

old,not bold
14th Apr 2006, 13:26
To be precise, the insurance is on the vehicle/plant you are driving/operating, not you, and is probably a lot more than £250m by now. £1bn even? I don't know.

You will need a personal driving/operating permit, and airports vary as to testing, H&S and airside training etc.

Oh, and the vehicle will also need a permit, subject to purpose/need, insurance and condition. You may need a radio on the ground frequency and some form of user permit or licence, and a rotating beacon. You will need a hi-vis jacket.

You will have to hold an RZ pass, subject to need, a 5-year background screen and CRB Disclosure, if you want to enter to RZ (more or less the terminal area and associated apron), and otherwise an airside (non-RZ) pass. You and your vehicle will be rigorously inspected at the entry point to the RZ.

You will need another permit, on some airports at least, if you want to enter the Customs area which is, roughly, where aircraft arriving and departing internationally park, ie perhaps where you want to go.

Good Luck! How badly do you want to drive airside?