PDA

View Full Version : Initial training with an OML medical

Baron Von Mildred
10th Apr 2006, 22:55
Does anyone know whether it is possible to take initial training that requires solo flight with an OML (operational multi crew limitation) restricted medical and if so, how?

Whopity
11th Apr 2006, 10:51
Surely the question answers itself. If you are limited to as and with second pilot you can't fly SOLO!

OpenCirrus619
11th Apr 2006, 13:15
Depends on what you mean by "Initial Training".

If you are not looking for commercial then there may be routes to flying SOLO.

To give 2 instances of where restrictions have been placed on friends:

1) Mechanical heart valve
A number of years ago this experienced glider pilot went for a medical for a PPL. It turned out he had a heart defect and, as a result of the medical, ended up having a valve replaced.
Many years later NPPL introduced. He decides to ask (expecting a "no"). The response: He can fly either:

SOLO (no-one else in the aeroplane at all)
In a dual control aeroplane with a licence holder in the other seat

2) Experienced Flying Instructor MIGHT have had a heart attack
Chap experienced tightness of chest - after extensive tests the verdict was "you possibly had a heart attack". If he'd had a heart attack and then a bypass they would have given his (Class 1) medical back - because an identified problem had "been fixed". Since they couldn't say he'd definitely had a heart attack there didn't seem to be any way for him to get fhis medical back.
In the end he had an "elective triple bypass". Once fit again the powers that be determined:

When flying not using his CPL privileges: No restrictions
When using CPL privileges (i.e. paid instruction): Only if student "can navigate back to airfield and land unaided" (i.e. post first land away).

While neither are directly related to your situation they do demonstrate that there is flexibility in the system. You might well be able to fly solo - but it might only be "solo".

Hope this helps

OC619

N.B. Since the glider pilot example the rules have changed - now solo glider pilots have to meet NPPL standards. (Just in case anyone out there thought there might be glider pilots dropping dead at the controls "like flies".

Baron Von Mildred
11th Apr 2006, 20:23
Yeah, thanks. So, presumably it could be possible for an ab initio student with a class 1 medical restricted to safety pilot/multi crew ops to do his solo initial training if the CAA deemed it so....

Were the cases post or pre JAR?

GusHoneybun
11th Apr 2006, 22:55
BVM,

Probably got the wrong end of the stick here. I take it you have a class one that is limited to OML only, but have yet to gain your licences.
As you are enquiring about training, what about trying for a class 2 medical. Restrictions are obviously lower and you maybe OK for solo flight on a this medical. Gain the experience you need and sit the CPL on the back of your limited Class One medical.

Baron Von Mildred
12th Apr 2006, 09:13
Actually it was a hypothetical question. I am already an instructor, but was in conversation with some else. I said it wouldn't be poss to do the initial training with an OML, they begged to differ, but neither of us has chapter & verse. I just prefer to know what I'm talking about!

OpenCirrus619
12th Apr 2006, 10:42
Were the cases post or pre JAR?

Case 1:
Heart defect discovered pre-JAR. Introduction of NPPL was what allowed him to get a licence.

Case 2:
Post JAR.

OC619

BillieBob
13th Apr 2006, 15:20
Does anyone know whether it is possible to take initial training that requires solo flight with an OML.... It is not possible to take initial training as an OML is issued only to the holder of a CPL or ATPL (JAR-FCL 1.035(d)(1) refers)

Baron Von Mildred
13th Apr 2006, 16:14
So, are you saying that someone who wished to commence initial (PPL) training but had a class 1 JAR medical would not have the OML on it until he reached CPL/fATPL stage?

BillieBob
13th Apr 2006, 16:37
No, it doesn't work like that. The OML is applied if the holder of a CPL or ATPL becomes unable to meet the Class 1 requirements. The relevant passage in JAR-FCL 1 reads - "The limitation ‘valid only as or with qualified co-pilot’ is to be applied when the holder of a CPL or an ATPL does not fully meet the class 1 medical certificate requirements but is considered to be within the accepted risk of incapacitation (see JAR–FCL 3 (Medical), IEM FCL A, B and C). This limitation is applied by the Authority in the context of a multi-pilot environment. A ‘valid only as or with qualified co-pilot’ limitation can only be issued or removed by the Authority." A student pilot or the holder of a PPL would not have an OML applied because it is applied "....in the context of a multi-pilot environment". A pilot may have restrictions placed on his Class 1 or Class 2 medical, which may or may not prevent him from flying solo but it won't be an OML.