PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an old B747?

Capt Chambo
9th Apr 2006, 09:47
A weblog that I noticed in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=BLOGDETAIL&grid=P30&blog=losangeles&xml=/news/2006/04/07/bllosangeles07.xml

green granite
9th Apr 2006, 10:15
Sounds like a damp squid to me

sorry I thought I was on Jet Blast :rolleyes:

rotornut
9th Apr 2006, 12:18
Gee, the conspiracy/contrail people will love this!:)

derekvader
9th Apr 2006, 12:33
If you go to somewhere in Australia a year or better two years after they had a forest fire, it's amazing to see all the new growth. Forest fires are absolutely a vital part of nature clearing an area and restarting ... healthy forests need it to happen every so often. Although it is kind of harsh to see singed koalas that get caught up in these fires :oh:

But really they would be better off not letting humans live too close to these forests than spending so much on putting the fires out. Just let them burn, in a controlled fashion, up to well made perimeters or dividing lines.

BRISTOLRE
10th Apr 2006, 08:18
The Evergreen Supertanker is old news. Its been around on "test" for at least 2x years but hasnt yet got full FAA certification to fulfil its role.

Kestrel_909
10th Apr 2006, 09:08
I'm assuming that the DC10 or 747 then has to return to airfield X, upload another 12,000/24,000 gallons of water, restart, depart and fly to the scene again? How many drops can the smaller 3000gallon a/c make in that time? :D

You'd need a bloody big loch for a 747 to fly along and uptake a few thousand gallons :cool:

Interesting none the less, be a sight to see 24,000 gallons of water fall from the sky in a few seconds.

Nice video ASFKAP, What a bloody big contrail that APU is making :D

rhovsquared
18th Apr 2006, 18:13
sounds like the water pickup might be a hairy manoeuver IMHO a bit scary... more rational solution would be to prefill the jet with water at the ramp..just where would all the H2O go into an empty center fuel tank?

Self Loading Freight
19th Apr 2006, 21:48
Well, at least it get round the hosepipe ban...

R

Trash Hauler
19th Apr 2006, 22:51
I hope we don't get any blue water out of it! :ooh: