PDA

View Full Version : FI jobs in UK

winch launch
7th Apr 2006, 16:50
I would like to work as an FI in the UK.

I am wondering how hard it is to enroll this kind of position when you are not local. I am French (sorry!), living in belgium. I have lived in the UK for a couple of years so I am confident that english won' t be a problem. But how can I start searching/networking for a flight school that could be interested. Is there any list of UK schools where I could send my CV?
Do I need to be FI rated before applying (as I wanna make sure I have a position before paying for it), or is it easy to find an FI job with a rating?
What' s the cheapest place, or best value for money school to get this training (I heard EFT is good)

Any advices are welcome

Thanks

Winch

Lomcovack
7th Apr 2006, 18:31
A lot easier than an English pilot getting work in France.
I live in France and have a Frozen ATPL and FI Rating with experiance, Even if I thought my French was good enough to instruct, After speaking to the DGAC they explained They recognise a JAR CPL but not a JAR FI rating issued in the UK ??

So be aware if doing a UK JAR FI course.

Most clubs dont employ instructors without the qualification, although schools who teach the rating tend to take instructors from there courses.
I would recommend contacting the school and introduce yourself to gain some contacts, you may get an idea of the market before you do the course, but would be suprised if you got a job without it.
Or do the rating at a school that may need instructors. Although be aware not all schools will tell you the whole truth.
Bon Chance !!

winch launch
8th Apr 2006, 15:28
Ok I see my topic was moved to here. Sorry If I asked questions that were already posted here.
I have an other question though:
Can I instruct in the UK with an FI rating done in France or in belgium?
Ratings are cheaper around there.

Thanks

winch

LEVC
8th Apr 2006, 16:39
The answer is yes, Uk , along with other JAA countries are applying properly JAR's, and as it is writen on JAR-FCL 1 any JAA CPL licence holder having an FI rating valid and with a valid medical can work in UK with no need to do any paperwork or conversion of any kind. I did myself work in UK and had no problems at all.

As far as i know almost all countries that are on the JAA are applying them except FRANCE and NORWAY, were they require you to have your licence convalidated by them.

As Lomcovak say, France wont recognize your FI rating, but with some pestering and patiente it can be done, i got the recognition of my FI rating in France, took 7 months and had to do a flight test with an Examiner-Inspector of the french DGAC to get it (it was the first case of a foreign FI rating being validated).
By the way, Locomvak,if you are interested send me a PM, and i'll tell you more about the validation of your FI rating.
The French DGAC tries to protect their market (FTO's are not doing so well over there) by doing this ilegal things (remember not only they aren't appying fairly JAR's , but they are also not applying EU rules that say titles and licences have to be recognized troughout the EU cou ntries to favorize the free movement f labourforce etc etc.....)

It's not a nationality problem, even French nationals with foreign JAA licences are having trouble in their own country.

The other JAA countries are OK, i know of foreign JAA licenced pilots working in Portugal, Spain ,UK, Italy, Germany, Malta etc etc.

Hopefully EASA will take over licensing in the JAA countries soonish and we'll get rid of all this nonsense.