PDA

View Full Version : Instructing on a home built, like a Long eze or Cozy

buster172
7th Apr 2006, 14:15
Hi,

I have searched the forum but can’t quite find the answer I’m looking for.

My cousin is planning to build a Cozy or Long Eze and would like me to teach him to fly it, take him through his PPL. I don’t have a FI rating yet but I will have in a few months if I can decide where to train! Any ideas?

I do have a CPL but don’t plan on charging him for my time, I just want the opportunity to train him on it (it will have dual controls).

Any thoughts on this and the idea of doing a PPL on something like this anyway? I can’t help thinking a Long Eze or Cosey is a pretty quick machine, not your average 152 and that perhaps it’s far from the best aircraft to learn in if its even possible?

We have discussed this, but he’s fallen in love with the idea and just a little part of me has to. :)

We look forward to any ideas,

Regards,

Buster

Whopity
7th Apr 2006, 14:32
Not a real problem, but there are some points to note.

Firstly, any training for a PPL will have to be conducted under a Registered Facility, you could register yourself but you will still need to be supervised untill the Restriction is removed from the FI rating when you get it. All flights will have to be made to and from a licensed aerodrome.

As the aircraft is likely to be on a Permit you would not be able to be remunerated, in any event, read the permit to see what it does and doesn't allow. You will also need to see if the Insurance will cover you for private flights involving training. They may not cover student solo or even insure the aircraft if the owner doesn't hold a licence.

You will need a minimum of 5 hours experience on the aircraft before instructing on it. Not a legal requirement but recommended.

hugh flung_dung
7th Apr 2006, 16:33
BEWARE! I owned a Long-Eze for a few years, it's a lovely aircraft to fly but wholly unsuitable for ab initio training.

The noseleg is spindly and the canopy can't be opened from the rear seat. The only controls in the rear are the stick, pedals and throttle (no gear, airbrake, carb heat, mixture, instruments, etc). Landing and take-off roll are relatively long and it's quite sensitive in pitch. Canard stall characteristics are "different". There are many other reasons not to do it.

Type conversions are normally done with the convertee doing a couple of circuits from the back seat and then flying solo (from the front).

HFD

buster172
9th Apr 2006, 16:30
Whopity, hugh flung_dung,

Thanks very much for your replies. I have passed this information on and thankfully he can see the sense in training on something sensible and then moving on to the canard. I’m really looking forward to flying it, though it’s a long way off.

Thanks again for your time.

hugh flung_dung, perhaps we can trouble you for some more information on the Long Eze nearer the time?

Regards,

Buster

hugh flung_dung
9th Apr 2006, 17:46
I'll happily help if I can but it's more than 10 years since I flew the Eze - you should be able to find someone a little more current by asking around. There used to be an active owners club; if not, the PFA should be able to put you in contact with some current owners.

HFD

A Sayers
26th Apr 2006, 10:32
There are examples in the states of this being done. As a LEZE owner I do not think they would be at all difficult to instruct on provided the back seat has the appropriate controls (some do). It would however be questionable as to the skill level of any person so trained who then went on to a more conventional aircraft. The LEZE is a wonderful machine, it is easy to fly and mostly benign despite its excelent performance. It does not prepare a student for other more traditional aircraft which would require very significant differences training.

I consider it would be in any individuals long term interest to learn on a traditional trainer and then do the simple conversion to the canard type.

PM me if you want specific issues.

Real pilots fly 'nose draggers'.

Andy