View Full Version : Heat damage

FullyFlapped
7th Apr 2006, 09:11
I looked at a plane today which has a heated detachable de-ice plate which sits on the (outside!) of the windscreen. Unfortunately, the plate has at some point been left switched on for too long, and has caused a blemish, about the size of a 50p piece, on the perspex windscreen itself.

From the outside the spot simply looks "cloudy", but from the inside it has a "crazed" appearance.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done(short of a new windscreen) ?

Thanks,
FF :ok:

camlobe
7th Apr 2006, 18:07
You don't say what aircraft type. Can I suggest that if it is a pressurised type - DON'T PRESSURISE. Hope that is clear enough (unlike the effected area).

If you are thinking of buying, request the screen is replaced prior to doing the deal.

FullyFlapped
8th Apr 2006, 14:35
Camlobe,

It's not pressurised, and I'm not stupid, but thanks for the somewhat obvious advice regarding a deal.

If you have anything remotely useful to say regarding treatment of damaged perspex screens, I'd be very grateful to read it !

L-Band
8th Apr 2006, 15:17
The Piper ones are not repairable as they are a sandwich of perpex and glass.
It,s a new panel, and that will be awfully expensive.

L

Cusco
8th Apr 2006, 22:51
Camlobe,
It's not pressurised, and I'm not stupid, but thanks for the somewhat obvious advice regarding a deal.
If you have anything remotely useful to say regarding treatment of damaged perspex screens, I'd be very grateful to read it !
I've just remembered why I visit this forum rarely and post even more rarely.
Cusco;)

FullyFlapped
9th Apr 2006, 09:21
OK, I apologise to Camlobe for "snapping" ... but jeez ...

I shall write out 100 times, "I must not get upset with those who don't RTFQ properly" ...

And Cusco, if you need a hand polishing that halo, just shout ... ;)

kevmusic
9th Apr 2006, 12:25
FF, I thought Camlobe's advice was well-meant and harmless; as well as solicited and free. Chill a bit, and don't bite the heads off those who come forward to help you.

Dannyboyblue
9th Apr 2006, 14:36
Absolutely Kev,

The guy who replied to your (fullyflapped) question didnt have to, he was offering advice that could save your life, fair enough if you dont need it but what if a low hours pilot read that and the same thing happend,, 1 possible life saved i think!:cool:

DBB

MEON VALLEY FLYER
9th Apr 2006, 15:07
What a load of old woman

Any ways back to the topic as with a perspex screen. The only solution is to glue or bolt on a sandwich repair patch (unlikely given the location, directly in your vision) or basically you need a new windshield. So if buying an aircraft this should be taken off the price, plus bare in mind the damage to local paintwork replacing the screen will do.

Hardly see these fitted today. Mostly on old seneca's, commanche's and baron's. But have seen them fitted to some of the first two on airframes without boots. Really makes you wonder what known iceing condition some people will fly these into :eek:

FullyFlapped
9th Apr 2006, 18:10
Thanks Meon, a fair point about the paintwork which hadn't occurred to me.

The main reason for asking the question was that I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there are replenishing treatments which can be given to perspex screens, which might go a long way to sorting this out : but I can't remember where I saw the info (or whether I'm just confusing it with something else).

The financial option is obviously open to play, but not the point of the question.

Oh, should anyone else want to join the bandwagon and tell me to "chill" ... I did apologise earlier, but if it makes you feel better to admonish me, feel free.

Finally, just in case Danny Boy Blue turns out to be correct, and there's a sudden glut of very low hours pilots flying pressurised aircraft , I strongly advise them not to fly with blemished windscreens. There. All done! :rolleyes:

camlobe
9th Apr 2006, 19:35
FF. Just logged on and read your comments as well as those that followed. The advice I gave was well meant. That doesn't mean that it had to be accepted in the manner in which it was given. I have no problem with your response and graciously accept your appologies.

Back to the thread. In all seriousness, if there are any doubts about the visual qualities or integrety of the windscreen, you must consider a replacement as the only option. Micromesh will help remove scratches and Plexus works wonders as a screen polish, but I am not aware of any products that are effective in removing the kind of blemishing you describe. If you do come across something that works, please post.

FullyFlapped
10th Apr 2006, 11:50
Camlobe,

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,