PDA

View Full Version : Why all these stupid rules ?

A and C
6th Apr 2006, 22:39
A quick look at this forum and you will see that we are bound by no end of rules.

It would seem to me that taking to the air without breaking one or more rules is very hard to do.

I know that some on this forum are in love with the in's & out's of the rule book and seem love the black art that is aviation law but don't you think that it's time that the law's of aerodynamics stopped taking a back seat to all the crap that comes out of the CAA and EASA.

Just take a look at the two YES ! two pages on this forum on the subject of club checks and you will see what I am getting at.

Whirlybird
7th Apr 2006, 08:46
don't you think that it's time that the law's of aerodynamics stopped taking a back seat to all the crap that comes out of the CAA and EASA.

Probably 99.9% of the people reading this site would agree with you. But what do you suggest we do about it?

RVR800
7th Apr 2006, 14:51
A lot of this industry is 'vested interest dressed up as safety'.

The Americans have a 'drive down the costs approach' we on the other hand prefer to affiliate ourselves with our protectionist continental neighbours who are into bureauocracy and control.

As for the 'who is P1' on instructor flights thats a minefield on both side of the pond, e.g. two ME instructors checking each other out on an extended rent to gain hours...........

There a lot of temptation to reduce costs by activities such as that

fireflybob
7th Apr 2006, 15:34
A & C, I quite agree!

I have been instructing since the mid 1970s and the "nuts and bolts" of teaching people to fly have not, in my opinion, changed a deal since then but what has changed is the ever increasing amount of bureacratic nonsense which we have to put up with which does little to enhance common sense, safety and plain old "airmanship"! My hallucination is that matters have only got worse since we have gone over to the European Rules etc!!

I am all for doing things the right way and believe that instructors should lead by setting a good standard but some of our brethren seem to revel in all this stuff. I am aware of at least one examiner (ex CFS!) who has packed in examining due to all the red tape.

A classic example to me is the "recommendation" that students have to pass Air Law before going solo. Most schools and clubs seem to interpret this as a mandatory requirement. And yet it is almost impossible to teach EFATO (due to the CAA interpretation of Rule 5 etc) legally. Would you rather your first solo understood the Chicago Convention or the Quadrantal Rule or be able to proficiently deal with an EFATO?

eyeinthesky
8th Apr 2006, 10:43
Don't forget, one of the commonest phrases in the ANO is:

"An aircraft shall not fly" :=

FlyingForFun
8th Apr 2006, 20:20
Hmm, I agree with the idea of fewer rules, yes.

But, A and C, I think you may have shot yourself in the foot with the example you use to back up your argument.Just take a look at the two YES ! two pages on this forum on the subject of club checks and you will see what I am getting atIn this specific case, the reason the thread has gone on so long is because there is a lack of rules. Nowhere in any written document does the CAA give any guidance on how to log club checks. By simply adding one line into LASORS which specifically allowed logging PICUS for a club check, the CAA could turn this particular question into a 1-line answer with no debate - but they haven't done so, and that is why the question gets asked so frequently, and why the answers run to pages.

FFF
--------------

A and C
9th Apr 2006, 08:05
So from the above comments would now be a good time for the CAA/EASA and the panel of examiners to get to gether and take a look at streamlining the regulations and getting rid of what is unnessesary.

Whopity
9th Apr 2006, 12:13
By simply adding one line into LASORS which specifically allowed logging PICUS for a club check, the CAA could turn this particular question into a 1-line answer with no debate
The CAA is a Safety Regulator. What has this got to do with safety?
Why would they have the slightest interest in what you put in your log so long as you comnply with the Law?

Frankly, there are two many stupid rules because there are too many stupid individuals who havn't got the gumption to deceide for themselves what to do!

FlyingForFun
9th Apr 2006, 14:07
The CAA is a Safety Regulator. What has this got to do with safety?LASORS contains a list of how to log time for just about every other conceivable type of flight, it's just this one which is missing from the list. The CAA publish this list, but it's not complete. Who else do you suggest completes it?too many stupid individuals who havn't got the gumption to deceide for themselves what to do!But we do decide for ourselves what to do! The problem is that we all decide something different.....So from the above comments would now be a good time for the CAA/EASA and the panel of examiners to get to gether and take a look at streamlining the regulations and getting rid of what is unnessesaryAbsolutely! And the chances of it happening???

FFF
----------------

Whopity
11th Apr 2006, 15:51
LASORS contains a list to assist people applying for licences and for no other reason. In the case in hand it is of little consequence so they will do nothing. EASA aren't likely to do anything either and there hasn't been a Panel of Examiners since about 1996!

Unfortunately nobody has the money, time to waste, or inclination to remove unwated rules.

The origin of LASORS is CAP53/54 and those documents were nothing more than a compendium of answers given to questions over 30 years. If nobody had asked the question, nobody would have had to bother with an answer and life would have been much simpler.

Spitoon
3rd May 2006, 22:03
I have been instructing since the mid 1970s and the "nuts and bolts" of teaching people to fly have not, in my opinion, changed a deal since then but what has changed is the ever increasing amount of bureacratic nonsense which we have to put up with which does little to enhance common sense, safety and plain old "airmanship"! My hallucination is that matters have only got worse since we have gone over to the European Rules etc!!I don't normally wander around this forum but I found this during a serch for something completely different - still, I thought I'd my twopenny'worth! I'm just a simple controller but when I started in the business the book that set out the rules for getting a licence was small (about the size of a C150 checklist if that helps to put it into perpective) and maybe 30 pages from cover to cover. It's now an A4 book with 131 pages, and probably has a commensurate number of people at Gatwick to check that each licence meets every rule. Does it mean that you get better controllers or ATC service? Well, posters in this forum are probably far better placed than I to judge that - but it doesn't seem any better on the inside. And the reason for the weighty tome - does the fact that it came in at the same time as the European harmonised licence - which, incidentally, doesn't make a controller's licence any more recognised by other States than the previous UK one - give a clue?
In truth, a lot of what was is in the new book was already in place in the UK but when things get harmonised across Europe all that seems to happen is that the worst bits from each State are drawn together and the new rulebook!
OK, rant over. And I promise not to venture into this forum too often - but I just wanted you to know it's not just pilots that have to put up with this sort of thing.....