PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating - Ryanair?

dobsjn44
18th Jan 2006, 12:33
On the Ryanair website, in order to get on the approved type rating course as a cadet you need a number of pre-requisites. One of them is the following:

'Minimum of 100 hours as Pic'

What does this mean please?

WingDown
18th Jan 2006, 12:38
This will mean you require 100hrs Pilot In Command (PIC) or as it will probably be listed in your logbook, P1. You will need to check whether this can include any P1s (P1 under supervision) time you may have in your logbook.

WD

Wodka
18th Jan 2006, 17:37
You also have to sell your soul for £250

Rather you than me ... :yuk:

markflyer6580
18th Jan 2006, 20:46
Looking at the thread in rumours and news it seems they have no crews,surely reason to ask for a free type rating:E

planeshipcar
6th Apr 2006, 03:29
Sorry again - looking for the answer everywhere,

thanks guys

d2k73
6th Apr 2006, 15:35
As far as I know its self sponsored, its payed through a bond, im sure there is info on the careers section of their website.

CanadianTrev
20th Jun 2006, 22:07
I plan on finishing off my JAA frozen ATPL with a MCC from Orland Flight Training early next year. I was thinking that Ryan Air looks like a great way to start in this giant aviation business. I know the pay sucks for the first bit and you work like a dog but i was expecting this anyways. It'll be like a 3rd year in university. Just looking for some advise who had there first job with a company like Ryan Air or Easy Jet after paying for your own type rating. Do companies actually take a lot of low houred pilots like this or is it very rare. Any advise will be awsome, thanks a lot

Mercenary Pilot
20th Jun 2006, 22:37
Nether Ryanair or easyjet will offer you a job if you have paid for a type rating. If you want to get into easyjet you must go through CTC and if you want to go to Ryanair you must do a type rating through one of thier training providers ether SAA or CAE. There have been lots of threads about both of these schemes so do a search and im sure you will find some good info.

potkettleblack
21st Jun 2006, 08:12
Not strictly correct in what you are saying. Two scenarios I can think of would get you in to Ryanair:

- 737NG rating and 500 hours on type
- 737NG rating and min hours BUT have a contact who can get you in for interview (eg: captain)

Essentially what you say is correct in that they would prefer to train you to their standards through the approved TRTO's but as always there will be exceptions to the rule.

Mercenary Pilot
21st Jun 2006, 09:00
- 737NG rating and 500 hours on type

500 hours of experience is hardly something you get when you pay for a type rating! Infact, you can apply to FR with 100 hours of line flying but that is something totally different to paying for an initial rating.

- 737NG rating and min hours BUT have a contact who can get you in for interview (eg: captain)

Ryanair have told me directly that the have no plans to take anyone with less than 100 hours until at least 2007 unless it’s through their approved scheme. If you have a contact at Ryanair, the most you can expect is a bypass of the £50 stg fee.

There maybe VERY rare exceptions (like being MO'L's cousin or something) but it’s definitely not worth the gamble of an independent TR. If you want to work for Ryanair or easyJet go through their schemes.:ok:

speedrestriction
21st Jun 2006, 09:47
I applied for SSTR over two months ago. I got an application number but nothing since. It seems you need a contact to even get called for the SSTR interview.

SR

potkettleblack
21st Jun 2006, 10:13
500 hours of experience is hardly something you get when you pay for a type rating! Infact, you can apply to FR with 100 hours of line flying but that is something totally different to paying for an initial rating.

Depends where you go now doesn't it. Doesn't Eaglejet have a JAA type rating and line flying programme? I thought Bond or Stapleford had a 500 hour programme? Seem to remember there were some outfits in Eastern Europe that you could do line flying for 500 hours as well on both Boeing and Airbus?

There maybe VERY rare exceptions (like being MO'L's cousin or something) but it’s definitely not worth the gamble of an independent TR. If you want to work for Ryanair or easyJet go through their schemes.

Agree entirely. If your number 1 ambition is to work for Ryanair then forget the type rating and forget about filling in the online application form as well. Instead develop your network. The examples above were exceptions to the rule and nothing more but highlight how there is never a black and white answer to this game. A mate of mine is a Captain in Ryanair and has gotten 3 of his mates into the airline in the past year. All had 250 hours or thereabouts. Goes to show that its who you know in this industry but some people just fail to grasp that for some reason that I have never understood.

Mercenary Pilot
21st Jun 2006, 11:33
Depends where you go now doesn't it. Doesn't Eaglejet have a JAA type rating and line flying programme? I thought Bond or Stapleford had a 500 hour programme? Seem to remember there were some outfits in Eastern Europe that you could do line flying for 500 hours as well on both Boeing and Airbus?

They do have such hour building options but you have to pay extra for them and for the cost of a rating and hour building it’s a lot cheaper just to go through the Ryanair scheme in the first place, get a job and earn some money.

If your number 1 ambition is to work for Ryanair then forget the type rating

With all due respect...that’s what I said in the first place.

and forget about filling in the online application form as well. Instead develop your network. The examples above were exceptions to the rule and nothing more but highlight how there is never a black and white answer to this game. A mate of mine is a Captain in Ryanair and has gotten 3 of his mates into the airline in the past year. All had 250 hours or thereabouts.

Yeah but your 3 mates still had to pay for a Type Rating off Ryanair didn’t they. I've got mates who have got in to FR through "the front" (on-line application) "round the side" (through a MCC/JO course's from companies like Parc) and through the "back door" (Senior Captain Recommendation) All of them have had to pay for the rating from ether SAA or CAE.

As for easyJet, there seems to be only one way in for low timers...CTC!

CanadianTrev
My advice, start with CTC. If you have no luck there, try Ryanair. Don’t treat this as a 3rd year at Uni. You've spent alot of time, effort and money obtaining that licence. You’re aiming to become a professional pilot so behave like one. Good Luck :ok:

Loony_Pilot
21st Jun 2006, 11:45
Ryanairs minimum requirements for 737 rated people is 100hrs+ on type.
It says it on their website, and myself and plenty of other joined with this level of experience having done type ratings elsewhere

potkettleblack
21st Jun 2006, 11:46
I can't be bothered labouring the point with you but if you reread the first sentence of your first post then you will see why I was correcting what you were saying.

Mercenary Pilot
21st Jun 2006, 12:48
Okay there seems to be a misunderstanding here. What I've gather from the first post is CanadianTrev is considering a TR but with no time on type (TRNT) and then applying to easyJet/Ryanair. Is that not how you guys have read it?

With that in mind then....

Loony_Pilot
At this present moment in time Ryanair will NOT accept TRNT pilots with less then 100+ hrs until 2007 at the earliest. If you had more than 100 hours than you didn’t fall into this category.

potkettleblack
Reread my second sentence

If you want to get into easyJet you must go through CTC and if you want to go to Ryanair you must do a type rating through one of their training providers ether SAA or CAE.

So what I’m trying to say is...the only way for low timers into Ryanair/easyJet without ether 100+(FR) or 500+(eJ) 737/A320series hours is through CTC/SAA or CAE. Do we agree now?

CanadianTrev
21st Jun 2006, 16:55
Hey guy, I don't think I made it clear enough in the start of the Thread. I don't have a TR yet. I am still in the midst of finishing my licence. I was thinking of maybe taking my MCC in stolkholm and then trying for the Ryan 737TR program there. Anyone know the chances of getting into that program, the steps after the TR is completed, job conditions , pay, do you sign a contract with Ryan Air before the TR, etc etc. ANY info about that would be awsome.

dxbpilot
22nd Jun 2006, 03:08
not entirely true about easyjet only taking guys from CTC , last month easyjet took 17 people straight from oxford including modular pilots.

Mercenary Pilot
22nd Jun 2006, 07:40
CanadianTrev
The chances seem to be pretty good at the moment. I belive you sign a training agreement and then pay upfront for your rating. You then go through your TR with no salary until you complete your base check. You are then paid approx £800 per month until you complete your line training at which point you start on a proper wage. like I said, this scheme has been covered many times so i would recommend doing a search to get the exact details of the T+C's.

dxbpilot
Yeah I heard they took some Oxford cadets. Didnt know it was that many! I think they will be going to CTC for their TR though. easyJet are short of pilots but they seem to be unwilling to take TRNT pilots.

The advice im trying to convey here is self funding an independent TR is probably not the best way to get into a job for low timers at the moment, Better to go through an airlines approved scheme as their seems to be plenty of places available.

PAPI-74
17th Jul 2006, 16:03
Easy and Ryanair both need hundreds of pilots next year. Something has got to give. Keep current, especially IFR, and keep applying. I did my MCC last month at PARC, I have given my C.V. to them to pass on. I really don't know what to do for a next move. I have applied to everyone I can think of, with one rejection today from Thomas Cook (not recruiting). I will think about a TR next month....but where. For that sort of cash, I want a job offer before I start...in writing. Astraus want too much for a TR that has a bad reputation. Storm are not recruiting for the Wizz scheme and that leaves PARC. No one from these TRTO's will stick their neck out and demand a bit of commitment back from the sodding airlines. We are the customer after all.

Jannik23
17th Jul 2006, 19:51
Hello all

Im most likely gonna do a 737 NG TR late this yr whick includes 100 hrs LT - so guess Ryanair is an option after this.
I know a pilt within Ryanair and his brother is a trainingcaptain - would that improve my chances without the LT (as I might have to wait 12 months to complete that after the TR).
Well if I dont take any chances I never gonna get that ´flyingjob I always wanted:(

good luck to all

Jannik

captwannabe
17th Jul 2006, 20:35
I think easyJet have hired from FTE in the past. Or you might be able to pay for a TR for them with GECAT (that's what the OAT graduates did).

TolTol
17th Jul 2006, 23:15
I have heard a rumour that Ryanair are not hiring any low houred cadets until Jan '07. Supposed to be due to lack of training captains.

-8AS
18th Jul 2006, 11:15
Jannik23. Your chances of gaining employment with FR is definately improved if you have contacts within the airline. Those inside have direct access to the Flight Operations Manager and he is very keen on recomendations. Thus, if someone is willing to stake their reputation on you then that will help.

TolTol. Recruitment of S/O Cadets is still in full swing. Delivery schedule from September is one aircraft per week. Each aircraft needs 4.5 fully trained crews! Lots of pilots needed with no end in sight.

boogie-nicey
18th Jul 2006, 11:31
Don't get too hasty, think of this .....

You get your Type Rating and then let's say 100+ hours on type.Now you apply to Ryanair and they still don't want you or do the usual and give you a reference/application number and then forget about you, what then? I'm not sure does the 100 hours on type really give you realistic chance of being hired? Maybe you should aim to get further hours so that if Ryanair doesn't work out for you then at least you have some time under your belt to apply elsewhere, perhaps?

Hope it all works out, I'm in the same boat and will go along the same lines too :ok:

Mercenary Pilot
18th Jul 2006, 11:33
Im most likely gonna do a 737 NG TR late this yr whick includes 100 hrs LT - so guess Ryanair is an option after this

Why dont you just go through the Ryanair scheme in the first place? :confused:

Jannik23
18th Jul 2006, 11:39
Applied to both of Ryanair´s TRTO´s yrs ago - havent heard a thing from any of them - so dont expect to hear from them at all. Nobody I know have succesfully been accepted to their scheme - no replys at all :confused:

So a last resort must be to go via another TRTO and get the rating and the 100 hrs and take it from there - and of course apply to all 737 carriers - (Ryanair is definitly not my no. 1 choice more a lack of options-thing - just wanna get my first job)

Jannik

Mercenary Pilot
18th Jul 2006, 12:05
Jannik

Seriously, your best bet is to contact your training captain friend and see if he can skip you straight on to the interview/sim check.

Self funding a type rating is a BIG gamble. All the opportunities I've been offered have required at least 300 hours so even 100 hours aren’t going to help you much if Ryanair say no.

:yuk:

boogie-nicey
18th Jul 2006, 13:20
Sure will, I guess it's best to explore the more obvious paths before embarking on the frightful complications of line training and paying for hours on type. But at every point I like to keep a realistic expectations "what if", "what's the probability", "in case it doesn't work out do I have an exit strategy or plan B?". You get my drift. Anyway best of luck.

Jannik23
18th Jul 2006, 13:52
Hi Boogey-nicey

all suggestions are more than welcome - unfortunately I cannot se any other options anymore - finished training 2 yrs ago - have a louse freelance arialphoto-job which gives me 40 hrs A YEAR. Business is picking up more and more pilots are needed - heard a lot of succes stories with people who funded their onw rating. I get linetraining for free and my first PFC for free- so I "only" pay £15.000 for a 737 Classic and NG which is then valid for 2 yrs (as I dont have to pay for my first PFC) surely I should be able to land a job with in the next 2 yrs and with 100 hrs on type - Im trying to be as optimistic as possible and see the solution on my jobhunt and not further problems here - so Im hoping for the best (for all of us) :)

But as I said - suggestions are VERY welcome

Jannik

Superpilot
18th Jul 2006, 13:56
No response from CAE or SAS in over 7-8 months? Have you called them? The least they could do is tell you to go away or inform you of a backlog. I'd call.

Mercenary Pilot
18th Jul 2006, 16:39
What about applying to Vueling or Wizz on the A320? At least you get your hours for free (did i just say that?!?) or even better you may even get a little money in your direction.

Jannik23
18th Jul 2006, 17:17
Well the plan I have gives me 100 hrs linetraining for free - I even get paid during linetraining so not that bad a deal (now that I HAVE to pay ofr it myself)
I´ll try to give em a call . and its not 78- months ago - its close to 2 yrs

JAnnik

Superpilot
18th Jul 2006, 19:13
Jannick, your 100 hours for free is definitely a good deal compared to most. However regarding SAS and CAE, there's a few posters on the 'Terms and Endearment' forum who have in that period of time, applied, trained, commenced their line training and who are now in fully paid work. This industry seems to contain lots of very lazy, forgetful Human Resources departments who need a casual kick up the ass to get things moving. You must pound them for an answer whether that be yes or no!

No news doesn’t necessarily mean you failed. Take my last job as an example (non aviation). I applied, and then followed up 1 month later, they forgot they ever advertised for the job! The next week they called me for an interview, which I passed. I then had to remind them about myself another month later….after which I got the job. Most HR types only know how to drink sh*t loads of coffee, gossip, surf the Internet for holidays (and boy do they bitch when the Internet is not working or is slow), and go home at the end of the day. Having said that, right now RyanAir are advertising for a job as a Pilot Recruitment Officer in case someone is interested.

ducati1980
19th Jul 2006, 02:00
Hi All,

This site often puzzles me and so does alot of the content I read. So firstly i'd like to clarify the position of easyjet and ryanair.

Easyjet require 500hrs multi crew airline time not just 737/319 on type time Unless, you have been successful through CTC and more recently GECAT or CAE easyjet are taking from all 3. The mention of 17 Oxford cadets being recruited were through GECAT and NOT Oxford direct and I know for a fact easyJet haven't been that impressed by the standard of those from there. Ryanair as there website mentions 100hrs + on type.

I know that easyJet are in need of approx 500 pilots by april next year! and I would assume Ryanair would be similar. Both are canceling flights and easyjet are sub chartering approx 4 aircraft a day due to crew shortages.

Nobody else has mentioed any other airline that would possibly be likely to take you with 100 hrs on type. Jet2, flyglobespan, TNT, Skyeurope, BMIbaby to name just a few and all have! A friend, f-atpl 220Hrs integrated oxford student is in the hold pool for Globespan no TR. These have all taken people from varying experience backgrounds in the past and i'm sure will again.

Airlines are advetising for 300hrs and 500hrs + on type but are there really that many guys out there with that experience looking for work? the answer is certainly no or airlines would not be cancelling flight etc.... so they will all have to look to take guys with less time.

My position is the same as many of you. f-atpl 200 hrs TT. Do I sit around hoping to get that lucky break like many of you? or do I take the risk invest a further large sum of money get a TR +100 hrs on type and be more employable. U may question this. But I would be. No type rating cost for the airline, demonstrated the ability to pass a Jet TR and OPC for line flying therefore cheaper to train and a lower risk than a 200 hr f-atpl. Assess the risk! if easyjet and ryanair need 1000 pilots in the next 12 months alone think about the industry europe wide!! More and more people are paying for TR's and its becoming the norm. The risk if you ask me is a good one if things continue the way they are. I'm bitting the bullet, risking bankrupcy if I dont get a job and going for a TR + 100hrs. I'll let you all know if it was worth it. I'm sure many will have views on what I have written and I look forward to hearing them.

Until then good luck I hope we alll end up working in this crazy industry we all seem to love.!!!

captwannabe
19th Jul 2006, 07:39
The mention of 17 Oxford cadets being recruited were through GECAT and NOT Oxford direct and I know for a fact easyJet haven't been that impressed by the standard of those from there

You're not the first person on these forums to point out the apparent low standard of (some) OAT cadets.

Jannik23
19th Jul 2006, 07:45
I went to Oxford myself - did the groundschoold there (Im modular) and frankly I dont get how they ofte can just walk into a job after finishing training - severeal integrated students failed so many exams that they had to sit ALL 14 exams all over again and were not allowed to go to pheonix to start their CPL - but I bet they have a job now - coz it says OAT on their CV :mad: :mad:

and Ducati1980 if that amount of pilots are needed from those 2 airlines alone next year - I dont think anyone with a typerating can loose - and thats a chance Im willing to take to land my job.

Jannik

Mercenary Pilot
19th Jul 2006, 07:56
I dont think anyone with a typerating can loose
If only that were true.:rolleyes:

Jannik23
19th Jul 2006, 08:06
Well let me refrase that then :ugh: think you are better off with a TR than without one - if the need for pilots is what ducati1980 says its gonna be :ok:

captwannabe
19th Jul 2006, 08:13
I went to Oxford myself - did the groundschoold there (Im modular) and frankly I dont get how they ofte can just walk into a job after finishing training - severeal integrated students failed so many exams that they had to sit ALL 14 exams all over again and were not allowed to go to pheonix to start their CPL - but I bet they have a job now - coz it says OAT on their CV :mad: :mad:

When will the airlines take note of the poor standards and look elsewhere?

Superpilot
19th Jul 2006, 09:05
Come on, the reality is good and poor students are every where and although other FTO's are just as capable of producing good students as Oxford, Oxford will always have this monopoly because of a.) It's location (Supposedly educated, affluent people live there), b.) The name, c.) It's size, d.) The perceived quality (a+b+c), e.) An amazing marketing machine and f.) Because of the old boys network.

Hirsutesme
19th Jul 2006, 10:06
Anyone seriously thinking of seeking employment with Ryanair needs to read into the REPA website before making any commitment.

invisiblemoon
19th Jul 2006, 10:14
Line training is the red line nobody should ever accept to cross. it is to pay for flying under normal operations and it ruins the entire industry.

Moreover, Ryanair and the likes aren't going to open their doors to TR pilots if everybody's willing to pay for line training as well. What's the next step ?

In top of that, take care of the "line training programs", it's usually a beautiful scam. TRTO's are trying to sell you their TR and that's all. I did that, went there before you, and believe me no one is able to give you what you want.

If you wanna go with FSB or Hub'air you're totaly crazy if you think you're the first one to get the idea. All what they want is your money foe the TR, they just can't cope with demand from crazy pilots willing to pay for line training. The hard fact is that NOTHING is under agreement concerning the line training part.

From horse's mouth you have to wait around one year to get the line training, if you get it at the end of the day.

Jannik23
19th Jul 2006, 10:31
Invisiblemoon

FSB is my plan - I have several mails from FSB confirming that you get LT for free and even get paid during this. According to my last mail from them, they are working on getting 2-3 other airlines on the LT too to reduce the waitingtime (getting other airlines in on this is both good and bad) but ending up with the typerating for starters must be a good thing compare to not have one at all when you apply to 737 carriers (other than Ryanair) - then getting 100 hrs on type if you dont get a job within the first yr must be even better. IF 1.000 pilots is needed at Ezy & Ryanair alone next yr - I think im better of with a rating than if I did not have a rating.
Nobody forbids me to apply while waiting for the LT (which you get paid €18/hr for). Several students have been placed before starting the LT (and skipped it of course as FSB helps placing students)

Jannik

JT8
19th Jul 2006, 10:31
So let me get this right, you're half way through your course and already looking to spend more money on a TR and then join ryanair out of all places?!? :ugh:

How about you research all the SSTR opportnuties and then put that aside whilst you concentrate on airlines who don't make you pay, the CTC ATP scheme and FI opportunities.

Paying to fly for a low cost airline like ryanair is madness, to a level you will never appreciate until you are doing it :yuk:

Jannik23
19th Jul 2006, 10:42
Another reason I go for the TR (might give CTC a shot) is that where I come from a FI rating is almost same price as a TR - and the business is moving fast at the moment - so the 5 guys who just did a TR got jobs all of them with Sterling i DEnmark (where I also come from) all had 250-400 hrs.
So spending £10K on a FI is a bad deal when a TR is £15K ( and I cant afford both)

Jannik

boogie-nicey
19th Jul 2006, 10:43
The TR is effectively half the training you seek with the other half being made up of line training. Therefore one is dependent on the other.

Be careful that you don't fall into some con and lose your money though, take a moment of pause......

Jannik23
19th Jul 2006, 11:08
Hi Boogie

I have taken 2 yrs of pause now - nothing happens unless you take a chance - I am now willing to take that chance. Many who HAS taken that chance ahs now landed jobs (I know many others havent) But at least I improve my CV - might even get an interview one day - Im fed up with "waiting for better times" etc. (excuse my language)

JAnnik

elevengflyer
19th Jul 2006, 11:23
Hi Boogie

But at least I improve my CV - might even get an interview one day - Im fed up with "waiting for better times" etc. (excuse my language)

JAnnik
This is not a critiscism as I am in FATPL/no job situation too - but does paying for your own rating/possibly even line training really improve your CV? or does it just tell the prospective employer you are a complete mug?

Jannik23
19th Jul 2006, 11:35
Guess that depends on the airline - could also tell them tha Im a pilot willing to learn and fly for a living and forking out for a TR is not gonna stop me.
I have already spent £50K should I then just sit and wait for a few more yrs and then quit and have wasted all that money or should I invest a little more and land the job I have always wanted?

I have 320 hrs TT

another has 220 and a TR with no hrs

Who is the airline gonna pick of the two of us ??? Think you all know the answer. 3 yrs ago the competition was having more hrs than the othsers (experience) today its having a TR - thats they way the industry have moed the past 3 rys with all the lowcost airlines who try to save money. So if they can save £15-20K per pilot they employ - they will. Wouldnt you????

I wish I could avoid this - I would rather spend the money on something else and get my TR paid for by the airline - but since nobody seem to call me I have to make my self employable and give THEM a call. And if my chances improves with a TR - thats the way i´ll go.

What r UR situations - you all have jobs and whats you TT and are you considering a rating too or not ?

Im just curious

Jannik

boogie-nicey
19th Jul 2006, 12:57
It's very true Jannik, yesterday the experience counted but today it's the TR which helps. You are very right about already having 'paused' for 2 years I should have noted that before I posted earlier.

Good luck my friend.

elevengflyer
19th Jul 2006, 13:11
Jannik
I don't blame you for wanting to improve your chances by getting a TR. I just wander how long the industry can continue to operate in this way. I have paid out over 40K pounds and that does not include the relatively decent job I gave up to do the flying training. If I do a TR and still get no job at the end I will be almost bankrupt and probably have very little chance of returning to my previous career as I'll have been away for 2 years. I don't know whether I can take that risk, even if I want to.
I can think of no other industry or profession that would dare ask for so much up front with NO guarantee of any job at the end.
If all of us FATPLs and budding FATPLs turned round tomorrow and refused to sell our souls for the chance to fly in a tin can then the airlines would have to invest, but UNLIKELY as we all love flying too much!
Out of interest I've not heard of the deal that you seem to be looking at - how does it work?

potkettleblack
19th Jul 2006, 14:57
I can think of no other industry or profession that would dare ask for so much up front with NO guarantee of any job at the end.

Which kind of makes you wonder how much WELL THOUGHT OUT research many of our contemporaries do before embarking down the well trodden path taking on debt as they go on a whim and a prayer. We should actually be quite thankful that so many do or else those of us who are determined, have contacts to get jobs etc would pay through the roof for the training:)

Eleven - As to how much it costs, well if we include lost earnings I would hate to think how much I have effectively given up as well. It could be worse though, you could have gone down the APP route and then been forced to get a TR as well and spent over £100-120k. Ouch now that would hurt!

PAPI-74
19th Jul 2006, 18:00
Probably because they have stopped recruiting for that scheme. If you want a job within the next year, you will need at least 100hrs on type (Astraus deal)

ssschmokin1
20th Jul 2006, 15:39
unfortunately only current employees or contractors can get access to the REPA website.

A lot of new joiners think of Ryan as a stepping stone and intend to move after the three years they are bonded for (yes there is a bond even though you pay for your type). The Ryan management seem to like this as each new year of recruits appear to get less money than the last and you will not be able to get a written set of T&Cs out of Ryan when you join or even a salary scale, cos there doesn't appear to be one. However with the numbers in Ryan now, where are they all going to go to when they do want to move?

Grapevine is, and let me be quite clear about this, this is something i have heard and am merely reporting on, not expressing any opinion of mine, is that new joiners are put on contracts on a take it or leave it basis (only told about this when they have paid for the type) that give them 40 or 50 euro per block hour (legal limit 900 per year) before tax and expenses. if this is the case, this is a BIG pay cut compared to all previous joiners (once the 6 months of training contract penury is up) and don't forget there would be no benefits of any kind from ryan - no pension, loss of licence, healthcare or even tea and coffee, as contractors work on a fee basis AND PICK UP ALL THEIR OWN EXPENSES INCLUDING HOTELS if they are moved. it might not be unknown for contractors to have to pay for their own licence renewals too.

BTW no company to my knowledge will GUARANTEE you a job if you enter their type training etc - there will always be caveats in case the market suddenly slumps. fact of life. accept it.

Right, now for the upside:

good flying
lots of experience (ie they work you hard)
chance of rapid promotion to RHS in 3 1/2 years, which is why a lot of people put up with it
the in house training is of very high quality
fly brand new aircraft
the crews are a good bunch
and if you are a young single guy then there are some very cute girls around the place too (sorry to reduce to base level!!;) )

so you pay your money and take your choice. as for getting in to ryan, why not get a ground job at a Ryan base. you could then make yourself known to the crews. there is no point sitting around doing other crappy work waiting for your opportunity. get to, for example STN, and do work on the ground THAT WILL GET YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO BE.

can't say it any plainer than that!

cheers all and good luck

Superpilot
20th Jul 2006, 15:45
Probably because they have stopped recruiting for that scheme. If you want a job within the next year, you will need at least 100hrs on type (Astraus deal)

Which scheme are you referring to?

PAPI-74
20th Jul 2006, 16:07
The back door one where you get recommended for an interview and sim check (you pay for). If you get on with the SID and Emergencies that they throw at you (supposed to be the hardest check in the game), they recommend you to a TRTO (SAS) for your rating. You need to go via PARC MCC usually, as a few of their instructors are Ryanair Capt's. It seems to have stopped now as they are only allowed a percentage of low hours pilots, I assume as part of their AOC.
To get a look in you are looking at least at a TR, if not a TR +100hrs.

Please correct me if I am wrong....

By the way the SIM check has changed from East Mid to Luton with a harder SID (1hr to plan it) but less emergencies.

PAPI-74
20th Jul 2006, 16:16
The Astraus deal, is where you pay for the TR. If you want a few bells and whistles on top, they offer 10 or 100hrs line training for the give away, basement price of 9K.

They give you the 737-300 TR with 700 dif training.....
plus your OCC (get wet in the pool and open a few doors for two weeks)

You then jumpseat for about four sectors and then Right Seat for a few more days until they are happy to let you loose without the safety pilot (in case they need to remove you). You are then crew until your time is up. If they need you and you have proved worthy, they may offer you a job or you will be in a good position to find one.

Is is worth it.....I am still working it out. I am torn between hanging on and getting a TP job, if I can find one, or paying PARC for a TR, or Astraus for the 100 deal.

Either way I loose for a while till I can pay it all back. I could always put oneof the three kids on e-bay.:=

avrodamo
20th Jul 2006, 18:07
I spent 16 months sending out CVs and getting absolutely no where, apart from a huge pile of PFO letters. The question you have to ask is can you afford to sit and do nothing, and continue to send out CVs, or do you change your game plan. I changed my game plan. I did my research and paid for my type rating. Many told me I was mad! I finished it in February. Since then I have had 3 interviews, and I now have a job on a 737 which is fantastic.
It was a gamble, but as I am 36 years old I needed to do something that would give me a position on a jet with reasonable remuneration, and still be able to look after the family. Everyone’s position and circumstances are individual, and so to are the decisions you need to make in order for you to get that first position. Ryanair is not the only outfit out there, there is opportunity.

Jannik23
20th Jul 2006, 18:58
Hi AVRODAMO

well done - and well said. How many hrs did you have when you landed your job ?

Jannik

avrodamo
20th Jul 2006, 19:15
I had 505. Did a couple of years instructing, but just on part time basis. I spent a huge ammount of time networking, and that realy does make all the difference.

corklad
20th Jul 2006, 22:16
Jannik23,

totally feel your pain. However have you thought about going to somewhere like south africa or canada where you would get a good exchange rate on your money and buy some hrs building time instead. you can fly day time VFR in canada with a transport canada medical only. If i were you..and its only a suggestion, i would try that way first...get back in the cockpit, build 100 to 200 hrs and get close to the 600 mark with some multi time. come back home and then consider a type rating on a turbo-prop (atr-72) or jet (737 or 320). the reason you may be haiving some difficulty is because there are 100s of guys with 200-350TT with a bare type rating and unfortunately, little experience all looking for that lucky opening. What ever you decide to do I hope it works out. Dont be influenced by others, go with what you feel is best for you.

TolTol
20th Jul 2006, 22:47
The worst thing about the waiting around looking for a job is knowing that you'll have to do the me/ir flight test all over again if you dont get one within the year:ugh:

avrodamo
20th Jul 2006, 23:16
You can renew in the sim, and its not as taxing as the initial test!

Jannik23
21st Jul 2006, 06:34
Hi guys

The TRTO I go for gives the first PFC for free so thats not a problem and even 100 hrs linetraining for free too - so ideally I have 2 yrs before I have to pay for a check myself - and by then I should have a job.
Im afarid htat hr building would be a waste of money as many wants TR today and not 1500 hr as the airlines want to save the money for the TR by having the pilots paying for them

Jannik

PAPI-74
21st Jul 2006, 07:11
You can renew in the sim, and its not as taxing as the initial test!

Yes you can, but FNPT II only. I think the fourth renewal has to be in the aircraft, but you still need the MEP. Check with your FTO.

Jannik23
21st Jul 2006, 07:15
Why would you need the MEP to renew a Typerating ?? Piston has nothing to do with a 737 Type - have I missed something here ?

Jannik

Superpilot
21st Jul 2006, 07:20
According to LASORS 2006, every second renewal must be in an aircraft.

PAPI-74
21st Jul 2006, 07:23
Why would you need the MEP to renew a Typerating ?? Piston has nothing to do with a 737 Type - have I missed something here ?
Jannik

Yep!
For some reason the thred twisted a bit to keeping the ME/IR going while waiting for a job.
I think it's going back to 737 stuff now.
Who votes PARC or Astraus as a TRTO?

Jannik23
21st Jul 2006, 07:41
I still choose FSB for the following reasons

Price £15.000
both CL and NG included in prise as well as basecheck
100 hrs free linetraining
free PFC if no job within the first year
Assistance to find job

please list benifits with other TRTO´s
Jannik

PAPI-74
21st Jul 2006, 07:57
This is going from what they have said to me and not experience:

PARC (Dublin)
They are an agency too, so they claim to place 100% of their students within Europe. The MCC was good. I finished that last month on the 737-200.

Bond / Astraus
If you pay extra, you will get the NG dif, 100hrs line training (do we need it in todays market.....some say yes, others say no. If PARC can place you for 10k less, maybe that's the one.

I will check out FSB now. I still need to find the money as the bank have just said that 54k is enough. Never......

Jannik23
21st Jul 2006, 08:06
PARC is €5.000 more expensive and you only get CL plus you have to pay €800 for assesment. so thats almost €6.000 for less than what you get at FSB. BUT they have good contacts

you have a link to the astraues deal ?

PAPI-74
21st Jul 2006, 08:27
Check PM.
bondsolutions.com

Have you got one for FSB?

boogie-nicey
21st Jul 2006, 09:01
Hmmm, that sounds interesting, may I kindly ask who FSB are and what are their details?

TolTol
21st Jul 2006, 09:25
It does sound interesting, who are FSB?

inner
21st Jul 2006, 09:49
Don't forget if want to do the line training with FSB there is long waiting list.

good luck

Hogbergs
21st Jul 2006, 11:16
Yes, expect at least 1 year if not more on the waitinglist with FSB. I did my rating 9 months ago and I'm not even close yet...

I would try to get into PARC as a first option, seems like a better chance to get a job

Jannik23
21st Jul 2006, 12:22
hello Hogbergs

I was told last week that they are working on getting 2-3 more airlines to help them out with the LT and that should reduce the waitingtime

How did you find the course ?? How many simhrs did you get total

Jannik

Hogbergs
21st Jul 2006, 13:49
The course was tough but very good.

You get 8 sessions (4hour) in either the -300 or the -800 sim, then a 4 hours skilltest followed by diff. training for 2 hours in the -300/-800. So a total of 38 hours FFS (no fixed based sessions).

Hopefully it's enough with 8 sessions, if not extra sessions will cost you 650 euro/hour.

Regarding the 2-3 extra airlines for LT, when I was there 9 months ago they also told me the same thing and nothing has happend yet.

Jannik23
21st Jul 2006, 15:50
they told me it should be in place in september - so Im getting back to them in sept to hear the news (if there is any)

I assume you have applied to airlines since you got your rating - have they tried to place you (they help with jobseeking right? )

Hogbergs
21st Jul 2006, 23:23
No, they have not placed me with any airline. I have only heard of german people getting interviews.

They have only told me where to apply (which I already had done).

Without the hours on type it's hard to even get a response from the airlines.

PAPI-74
22nd Jul 2006, 08:13
Thus, cheap is dear!
Sorry to bring that up.
Looks like PARC could be the best option.

Hgobergs, just keep networking and find a buddy to share a sim if you can.

Have you tried the agencies?

They may get you a job deep into Europe, but 500hrs is 500hrs, especially when it comes to renewing.