PDA

View Full Version : SA intructors gaining UK JAA FIC

flying paddy
4th Apr 2006, 14:27
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone out there could explain to me how the following is allowed to happen.

I have just heard that South Africain Instructors are training in the uk. (15 hours Flight training and a test i believe) to be allowed to teach the UK JAR PPL (and more) syllubus in South Africa to british students. They are not completeing any theory or Uk licence conversion or even the FIC course.

In the same breathe any JAR instructors are in no way allowed to instruct in SA to teach JAR PPL without first completeing a whole SA CPL with theory subjects and then complete the full SA instructors course.

It seems to me that we are giving students/(customers) to South Africain schools and instructors to the cost of the UK Instuctor/flying schools. We are not allowed to go train them there.

There is no equal agreement between the 2 authorities that I can find. UK flying schools are losing income to foreign schools, and the CAA is giving them the instructors to do so.

Please can anyone show me in Lasors or anywhere why this is being allowed to happen. I mean at least the US JAR schools use mainly JAR instructors. This just does not seem fair at all.

Kind regards

Flying Paddy

porridge
4th Apr 2006, 19:21
I am most intrigued by this - could you be more specific who and where this is happening? PM me if you want to be more confidential.
I hold a SA Grade II and am also a JAR FIC instructor, I know about the 15 hour conversion course, but that rests on having passed at least the JAR CPL exams and having a JAR PPL - one cannot be paid in the UK (and presumably in the rest of JAR land). However, there are many schoools in the US doing JAR approved training and the instructors need to have the FAA qualifications and do a course of standardisation with a JAA FIC instructor. Presumably that is how it works in the instance you are quoting. I would also suspect that it would be cheaper for an FTO to employ someone on a contract to do the standardisation in SA rather send instructors here?
With the AVGAS supply problem in SA I would have thought that a lot of schools will be grounded in the near future anyway?

Whopity
11th Apr 2006, 16:06
I have just heard that South Africain Instructors are training in the uk. (15 hours Flight training and a test i believe) to be allowed to teach the UK JAR PPL (and more) syllubus in South Africa to british students. They are not completeing any theory or Uk licence conversion or even the FIC course.
What you are referring to is training conducted in accordance with Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.300. It allows non JAR Licence holders to conduct JAA training in an approved FTO outside a JAA Member State. They are having to complete a JAA FI Course but, it may be reduced on the basis of their previous instructional experience. They have to pass a FI Test on completion with a JAA FIE.

http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/563247.pdf

Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 1.300
Requirements for a specific authorisation for instructors not holding a JAR–FCL licence to instruct in a TRTO outside JAA Member States or in a FTO partial training outside JAA Member States in accordance with Appendix 1b to JAR-FCL 1.055
1 (a) Instructors seeking to instruct for a JAR–FCL licence including class and instrument ratings shall:

iii) have completed in accordance with JAR–FCL the approved relevant course(s) of theoretical instruction and flight training. The course may be modified, as approved by the Authority, taking into account the previous training and the experience of the applicant, but shall comprise at least 30 hours of ground instruction and 15 hours of dual flight instruction performed by a flight instructor holding a JAR–FCL licence and rating in accordance with JAR–FCL 1.330(f);

(iv) have passed the skill test set out in JAR–FCL 1.345;