PDA

View Full Version : B737NG to B777 flight deck differences

artax
3rd Apr 2006, 14:38
Hello fellow aviators
I've got an interview coming up with a sim evaluation in the B777. I'm currently flying the B737NG and from the pictures I've seen the flight deck looks almost identical.
So, my question is this: For the purposes of a 1/2 hour sim check, what are the important differences? I'd just like to know the simple stuff, like what's the flap schedules for takeoff, landing and go-around, and what height should I flare at?
I understand that the fly-by-wire means no rudder input with a V1 cut, is this correct?
Thanks in advance for your help, and wish me luck....

junior_man
4th Apr 2006, 02:03
Fly by wire does not mean no rudder for a v1 cut.

Cockpits are pretty different as the 737 cockpit is the same old 737 but with the nice late EFIS. The EFIS will look the same between the two but that will probably about all that is the same.

THICKO
4th Apr 2006, 17:03
I understand that the fly-by-wire means no rudder input with a V1 cut, is this correct?

The 777 has TAC (Thrust Assymetry Comparator) which (in most circumstances) applies rudder when a difference in engine speed (thrust) is detected. It is not instantaneous and a little pilot input is initially required.

I believe many Airbus' don't have this - sorry I've only flown Boeings!

.....and Good Luck!

singleseater
4th Apr 2006, 17:22
Forget it is a 777. For the sim, fly it like a 737 watch what is happening and react accordingly
The TAC has a habit of cutting out in a v1 cut (in sim) do not rely on it. Look out the front and move you feet as required.
For manual rudder trim if a assumed temp T/O use about 11-12 units for rated 14-15
In circuit, level at 250 about 6-8
down slope, power back about 3-4
If it is a true sim assessment, bet the TAC does not work.
rotate att. 777 200 about 10 degrees
300 no more than 9
have fun

Kit d'Rection KG
5th Apr 2006, 08:45
I haven't flown the 777, but did once have to power one up and play with things on it, and found its systems completely different to the 737NG (on which I'm rated), but logical.

I was enormously impressed by the ease with which the electronic 'flight bag' worked, and the intuitive nature of the touch screen displays and their logic.

Notwithstanding the apalling design flaw in the fuel system :hmm: , I thought it looked like a lovely place to go to work (if you have to go to work, that is...)

THICKO
5th Apr 2006, 09:33
Notwithstanding the apalling design flaw in the fuel system :hmm: , I thought it looked like a lovely place to go to work (if you have to go to work, that is...)

What apalling design flaw? I fly the 777 and am not aware of one!

Kit d'Rection KG
5th Apr 2006, 09:51
The design flaw?

I knew someone would bite...

Have you seen the size of the fuel tanks??? That thing goes for hours!!!

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

(Kit, a dedicated short-haul chap)

THICKO
5th Apr 2006, 11:27
:mad: :mad: :mad:

artax
5th Apr 2006, 18:19
Thanks for your help with this folks.

So as for flaps: on the NG we normally take off flap 5, at 1500 ft climb thrust is set automatically, select clean speed, flap 1 as speed increses beyond v2+15, and flap up on the speed tape schedule.

Landing usually goes flap 1, flap 5, then gear down and flap 15, then flap 30 and set vref+5.

Go-around flap 15, at 1000' flap handle controls the speed until toga terminates, select flap 5, flap 1 then flap up on schedule.

Is it similar for the 777? I see there are different flap positions available.

cheers

MrBernoulli
9th Apr 2006, 10:14
For my operator:

T/O flap is usually 5 but can be 15 now and again (rwy/weight/terrain etc)
Thrust reduction is usually 1000 ft aal but occasionally higher at some airfields where terrain is a factor (changed in the FMC)
Flap speeds appropriate for the conditions are on the speed tape. Just raise flap when within a few knots of, and accelerating towards, the marking (use the speed trend vector - green arrow).

Frankly, if you handle it like your 737NG you won't go far wrong.

THICKO
9th Apr 2006, 11:54

Frankly, if you handle it like your 737NG you won't go far wrong.

....apart from using Flap 20 rather than Flap 15 for Go-around:)

artax
9th Apr 2006, 12:14
Thanks guys - that's a big help.
See you in the sky.