PDA

View Full Version : Can a FI take the GST?

Happyeater
2nd Apr 2006, 21:58
I'm getting close to the stage where I'll be booking the GST after doing several 'revision' lessons and a mock test. I have had several Instructors including the CFI (3 hours) who usually takes the GST's.

Would 3 hours as the Instructor prevent him from taking the final exam with me? Is there a cut off time?

Many thanks.

Whopity
2nd Apr 2006, 22:15
It depends upon several factors, what licence are you being tested for, when did he fly with you, what did he do whilst flying with you and how many hours instruction have you received. As you've mentiond a GST you must be doing a NPPL where the JAA rules don't apply so you could be OK.

JAR-FCL prohibits the test being conducted by an examiner who has given instruction for that rating. You would therefore have to have received the minimum mandatory instruction on the course conducted by another instructor. The CFI may have conducted a progress check but should not have given instruction or be included in the minimum dual total. If he instructed you over 25 hours ago (the minimum PPL mandatory dual) then it should not be a problem otherwise, you will need another examiner.

Happyeater
3rd Apr 2006, 12:33
Many thanks for the response. It seems that another FI will have to take the skills test. Appreciate the answer.

DB6
3rd Apr 2006, 16:57
3 hours with the CFI will not prevent him doing your GST under NPPL rules, however your terminology is curious. FIs cannot do GSTs, only examiners (FEs). If an FI happens to be an examiner as well then fine, but you may be thinking that all FIs can do your test. Not so.
Cut-off times: The GST shall be taken within 6 months of the completion of training and all sections completed within 6 months of the first attempt. For full details look at www.nppl.uk.com (http://www.nppl.uk.com) .