PDA

View Full Version : Wise counsel before first solo.

Centaurus
2nd Apr 2006, 12:28
All of us will surely remember the circumstances of our first solo - the aerodrome, aircraft type if not the rego, instructor's name and hours flown before being sent aloft alone. Very few however will remember the last words of advice from our instructor as he pats us on the shoulder and says off you go.

Mostly it is the traditional words of wisdom like "If you are in doubt, go around". I saw one student take that advice literally when after the smallest of bounces each time he went around FIVE TIMES. His instructor (a former RAF Mosquito pilot age 70) got on the radio and told him in no uncertain terms to stop stuffing around and land the bloody thing. This time he bounced and stuffed the stick forward at the top of the teeny wheeny bounce and jammed the prop into the deck (it was a Cessna 150) and went arse over head. His instructor roared up in his car (it was a country airfield and no security) with camera in hand to find the student on his knees safe and sound rocking like a baby. "Hold that pose" said the instructor and clicked the camera. He was a no-nonsense instructor that old bloke.

Back to the title of this post. What advice would you give your student as you send him off on his/her first solo?

Me? I just say "off you go and do just one circuit - if you bounce just apply a little power to cushion the bounce and do a gentle landing off it"

I ensure the student is quite competent at bounced recovery and re-landing within the remaining field length before sending a student on first solo. Also quite competent at going around with full flap and low airspeed from after the flare manoeuvre. It is not fair to the student to be sent solo unless he has the skill to conduct both choices - re-land off a bounce or go around from the flare.

FullyFlapped
2nd Apr 2006, 14:15
The final words of wisdom from my instructor as he got out were classic :-

"just don't rip the f*****g nosewheel off ...." :)

Brilliance. Made me laugh and took the tension right out of the situation ...

FF :ok:

FlyingForFun
2nd Apr 2006, 17:43
My instructor said "I have control." Unusual, I thought, but I gave him control. "I just want to taxy us back to the holding point" he said. Why? "Because I'm going to get out, and you're going to do a circuit by yourself."

I also remember the last words of the instructor who taught me to fly tail-draggers properly, before signing me off to fly his PA18s. "If I sign you off," he said, "will you promise not to break it?"

Personally, when I send students solo, I always tell them to "enjoy it" or "have fun".

FFF
------------

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Apr 2006, 21:29
I tell them "Right you've scared the cr*p out of me enough for one day, but I still want to earn some money, so how about going off and doing one yourself."
Just before I jump out I always tell them to go and enjoy it and that they'll enjoy it a lot more with out me narking in their ear!
It's still my favourite part of the job.

SD.
3rd Apr 2006, 06:09
"Don't do a crash test **** on me!!!"

My CFI's previous student had a prop strike on a taxi way sign :eek:

Since then I've sent 6 guys solo, shake each one by the hand and just say "relax and buy me a pint tonight" :ok:

johnnypick
3rd Apr 2006, 13:53
SD, I was more nervous sending you solo than I was sending the crash test dummy. You've been a constant embarassment to me ever since, west ham supporters should know their limits!!!

fireflybob
3rd Apr 2006, 22:12
I remind them that the aircraft performance will be different after the reduction in weight after I have exited the aircraft!

Craggenmore
3rd Apr 2006, 22:53
Im almost unrestricted but before I pass them over to my CFI, I make very sure that that they are fully in control if their engine goes at 001 feet...002 feet...003 feet...004 feet...............and of course that they enjoy themselves

jai6638
4th Apr 2006, 02:40
I remind them that the aircraft performance will be different after the reduction in weight after I have exited the aircraft!

thats what my CFI told me before wishing me good luck...

jolly__jumper
4th Apr 2006, 10:36
"Don't screw up... I need the plane this afternoon!"

flying paddy
5th Apr 2006, 11:07
"Have fun, and enjoy. You will only ever get to do your first solo once."

MadamBreakneck
11th Apr 2006, 16:03
"Have fun, and enjoy. You will only ever get to do your first solo once."Erm... I did
First solo in a glider
First solo in a single seater
First solo aerotow
First solo under power
First solo in a tail-dragger
Every one of them exciting and nerve-wracking.
... then also my first sending solo and my first first solo.:ok:

After the "have fun" bit, the last thing I say is actually body language... I walk away confidently carrying my headset & stuff without looking back (at least not until they won't be able to see me watching).

madamB

GusHoneybun
11th Apr 2006, 22:59
Instructors who say "Don't crash" or offer other such pearls of wisdom are probably undoing about 2 hours of student confidence. Let them go off on something positive ringing in their ears.

Oxeagle
15th Apr 2006, 21:50
Just had my first solo today :D . Before jumping out of the Warrior he simply shook my hand and said 'Don't break my aircraft!'. Very encouraging :}

fireflybob
15th Apr 2006, 22:42
The instructors who say things like "Don't crash the a/c!" are, I would suggest, setting their students up for failure!

If I say to you "Do NOT think of the colour blue, whatever you do, do NOT think of the colour blue", then most people will immediately think of the colour blue. Conversely if I say "Think of the colour red", then most will think of red.

Similarly, if you say "Don't crash the a/c" - your student, at a subconscious level, is more likely to do precisely that. Better to say "Have a safe flight!".

It always amuses me when I see and hear cases of "negative programming" - examples are parents who shout "Don't run!" to their kids, a sign which I recently saw over the motorway which read "Don't drive tired" and finally whilst walking by a car which had received a parking ticket which read, in capitals, "DO NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE". Suggested better instructions would be respectively, "Walk", "Take a Break", and "RESPOND TO THIS NOTICE NOW".

Oxeagle - no intended criticism of your instructor - I presume all went well - Congratulations!

Oxeagle
15th Apr 2006, 23:03
Cheers fireflybob! It couldnt have gone better :) No offense taken, he's an easy going guy, said that with a healthy dose of sarcasm! Good point about 'negative programming'!

poteroo
17th Apr 2006, 09:34
Keep It Positive

After doing around 75 tailwheel endorsements,mostly in Supercubs and Cessna 170/180, I've settled on something like this:

Time for me to stretch the legs. Just remember to check the windsock. You'll really enjoy this - it's probably better than your 1st solo!

In Australia it's not mandatory to 'solo' anyone before finalising their tailwheel endorsement - but I have a strong belief that the job's not really done until the pilot actually solo's in the presence of the instructor. Anything less isn't indicative of confidence in the training process!

happy days,

B Fraser
17th Apr 2006, 18:20
I remember being told "take it easy and enjoy yourself". I was grinning from ear to ear for a week afterwards. I also remember the first words I heard after strolling into the clubhouse "congratulations captain Fraser !"

Thanks buddy :ok:

runway16
17th Apr 2006, 23:28
To send a student solo for the first time!

My technique is to ensure that the student can do at least three acceptable circuits in a row. The circuits may not be brilliant but they have to be safe with good decision making ability displayed.
I never tell them that they are coming up to the first solo but at the same time I ensure that the paperwork, the licence, medical and pre-solo air leg are out of the way.
I often the use the wearing of sunglasss to decrease the contact between the instructor and the student therefore making him/her more on their own to make control decisions in the pre-solo flight session. I also cut the conversation to a minimum.

I usually just tell the student 'OK, lets make this a full stop' and then when we are about to taxi back to tie down I get them to steer into the runup bay and say ' now you are going to go solo'.

I check the weather and go over the landing speed and the engine out glide speed. I remind them that the aircraft will handle slightly differently without my weight on board and to plan a longer final or use more/earlier flaps as a result. I remind them that they get more marks for going around than to make a muss of a bad approach or landing. I tell the tower that the student is going for a first solo. I remind the student that if they get a problem taxying around to call the tower for taxi guidence. At this stage the student has a lot on his mind and mental overload is not uncommon.
I tell them to do just one circuit and after landing to pick me up at the windsock.

I then tell the student to have a good flight and that after I have vacated the machine I will look it over before giving them the nod to taxi away.

I then walk off to the windsock and pay scant attention to the student as they taxy away to let them know that I have faith in them to do a good job and that to me they are just another student that I have brought up to a safe solo standard.

Additional comment welcome from other instructors.

P.Pilcher
18th Apr 2006, 16:47
My instructior couldn't send me solo as he was an assistant in those far off days. The CFI of the other aero club on the field therefore was asked to take me for a solo checkout so I knew what was happening. After three circuits he was satisfied and uttered the words I have remembered for the remainder of my flying career and used on every occasion (except one) when I have sent a solo myself:
"Right, "Bloggs", I have sat here now while you have flown the aircraft around the circuit several times. I have not once had to touch the controls and in my opinion your flying is of a standard which will enable you to safely fly the aircraft around the circuit on your own. Remember that the aircraft will climb more rapidly without my weight in it as well."

With that, apart from the comments about one circuit only but do not hesitate to go around if necessary, he got out and I can still remember looking at his empty seatbelt neatly secured over his seat cushion as my Cessna 150 climbed away.

When I got back I was advised that you never get the same feeling as you do after your first solo again.

I did - the first time I sent one!

P.P.