PDA

View Full Version : 737Ng versus A320

300ER
2nd Apr 2006, 03:11
I'm not looking for a Boeing Airbus debate but was just wondering how the performance of the 737NG compared with the A320 in terms of performance. ie climbing to cruise altitude at max weight and the payload carried on long legs.

SIDSTAR
3rd Apr 2006, 01:38
300ER,

Having operated both for some time I'd say the 737-800 is superior in its climb capability. It can go straight to 370 with virtually a full load and will make 410 after about 2 hrs cruise. The 320 struggles to make 330/350 when full. Also, the fact that the NG can get up to 410 can be a huge help, especially here in Europe, in getting direct clearances which can really cut time off your sectors. Of course, the 320 beats the 737 hands down when it comes to cockpit comfort - plenty of room to put things, properly designed spaces etc.

Left Wing
3rd Apr 2006, 02:51
Can I add to the above question, why are the Asian & Middle East LCC's going crazy over 320s or is just the price and free training.:uhoh:

vapilot2004
3rd Apr 2006, 05:49
The free training and an excellent progressive maintenance deal are naturally attractive incentives.

Prices between the two competitors are actually fairly close on these single-aisle aircraft and while both manufacturers will sell these models at below list, the amount of the discount is kept confidential, making it difficult to truly judge who paid what amount for x number of frames.

Passengers seem to appreciate the A320 series cabin - the IFE screens on the Airbus are a hit according to industry surveys.