PDA

View Full Version : wake turbulence

geo75
31st Mar 2006, 14:03
Hello

First time posting, not a pilot.

I had a question about wake turbulence ... is it considerably more powerful behind an aircraft when it is landing or taking off, with slats and flaps extended ... as opposed to cruising? I would have thought there wouldn't be much when the aircraft is flying faster and with flaps and slats retracted ... or is there a relationship?

I did a search and what is the term "alpha" in relation?

Thanks,
iain

None
31st Mar 2006, 15:04
Hello
First time posting, not a pilot.
I had a question about wake turbulence ... is it considerably more powerful behind an aircraft when it is landing or taking off, with slats and flaps extended ... as opposed to cruising? I would have thought there wouldn't be much when the aircraft is flying faster and with flaps and slats retracted ... or is there a relationship?
I did a search and what is the term "alpha" in relation?
Thanks,
iain
The experts will likely respond soon.
Until then, you can expect a more powerful wake behind an aircraft that has a clean wing (flaps/slats retracted) and that is flying at a slow speed at a heavy weight. The flaps tend to generate their own mini-vorticies that usually conflict with the main wake.
Having said that, wake turbulence is respected at all times, as I don't know the generating aircraft's weight or configuration. Wake is well respected at cruise as well (passengers and flight attendants may be up and about).
http://www.fcitraining.com/article14_fci_training_jul04.htm

Piltdown Man
1st Apr 2006, 11:25
Alpha means angle of attack. The greater the angle of attack, the more "work" the wing is doing (by using it's shape), the greater the vortice. The other method of generating lift is to use more speed and less angle of attack. You still make a votice, but not quite as severe.