PDA

View Full Version : cessna 172

mark_wallace
29th Mar 2006, 10:00
i am a student doing a project on on the cessna 172. i am looking for any information on the operation and construction of these instrument.oil pressure gauge,vacuum pressure gauge and oil temperature gauge.any one with any information on these system can email me with any additional information.thank you.:{

barit1
29th Mar 2006, 12:13
Pressure gages (oil pressure, vacuum, IAS etc) typically are Bourdon tubes. (http://www.efunda.com/DesignStandards/sensors/bourdon_tubes/bourdon_intro.cfm) Sometimes temperature gages use a similar indicator, connected to a sealed gas-filled bulb. The gas expands with temperature.

Micky
29th Mar 2006, 15:53
The POM for the "new" 172 is very good if you want to know how they work...if you want to know how they are constucted try asking your flight school or an FTO they will propally have some old ones lying about for students to study...

If you pm me I could send you some dig.Photos I made from the instruments at my school.

Regards Micky
:ok:

Oktas8
29th Mar 2006, 20:41
The instruments (OP, OT, VAC) in these aircraft are "off the shelf" components that are purchased directly from suppliers and fitted to the aircraft. It's unlikely that Cessna or the POH will go into detail on how they are constructed, just as your car operator's manual will not tell you how the speedometer is constructed.

Perhaps you would get the information you need from an aero maintenance company - particularly one which services your flying school's aircraft. Most engineers are happy to educate pilots on these kinds of issues.

Good luck,
O8

Micky
30th Mar 2006, 14:33
unlikely that Cessna or the POH will go into detail on how they are constructed

I did not mean that the POH goes into detail of the constuction, but it will go into detail of the operation of the instuments...:ok: