PDA

View Full Version : ATC manual for JAA?

Gnirren
29th Mar 2006, 06:27
In the US, the FAA gives you web access to a pdf manual that ATC abides by. It's a great tool as it shows you how the guys on the other side work and gives you an understanding of clearances, phraseology and so on from a different point of view. My question is if there's something similar available for JAA too?

niknak
29th Mar 2006, 14:30
In the UK, we use the Manual of Air Traffic Services, published by the UK CAA.
I don't think it's available in PDF format on line, because you have to subscribe to get both the hard copy, ammendments, and other bits and pieces.
As a result, some UK ATCOs buy a copy as an individual purchase and then photocopy the ammendments as they are published to their units, most just read the ammendment.

Yes, I know that's crazy, and it's not conducive to safety, but in the UK, that's the way the CAA want it.:mad: :confused:

Spitoon
29th Mar 2006, 15:03
The UK's manual is, in fact, freely available on-line from the CAA web site. Get it here (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=222).

There is no common manual for ATC across Europe and, as every pilot that flies around the region will tell you, there are significant differences between the way that different States do the job. Whilst these differences shouldn't in themselves lead to reductions in safety, it can cause confusion which is unquestionably undesirable.

Hope the UK manual is of interest. Underneath, all of the European manuals is ICAO Doc 4444 PANS-ATM but the basic document allows a lot of latitude which is why differences exist between States. ICAO docs are difficult to find on-line but if you search PPRuNe you'll find a couple of sources.