View Full Version : flat tyres?

Kanga767
27th Mar 2006, 02:21
Can anyone shed some light on whether wide-body types have an option on, I guess what would be termed, 'high flotation landing gear', giving the visual impression that they are badly in need of some N2? I would imagine it would be for landing on load restricted pavement.

Thanks in advance!

K

Edgar Jessop
27th Mar 2006, 07:57
If you are talking 767 the answer is no. The only approved MLG tyre is H46 size (The "H" denotes lower aspect ratio than some older tyres which may give a flatter appearance?).

On some Airbus types there is a radial/bias option but I believe this is on A320 family only. The radial tyres do give a lower pavement loading.

If your tyres 'look' flat due to low pressure you have a problem - the amount of underinflation to give that sort of effect would be catastophic if rolled!

HTH

Kanga767
27th Mar 2006, 08:51
Thanks Edgar,

Sadly the largest type I am familier with is the 737 family and even at MTOW the tyres do not bulge, however, I have a 'fan club' telling me tyres do bulge and have even been pointed at pictures on Airliners.net of mainly Airbus family that show same. Had me reaching for the N2 cart!

K

LME (GOD)
27th Mar 2006, 13:21
Correct 767 pressure is in the region of 200 psi. They definitely do bulge when correctly inflated!!

Nineiron
16th Apr 2006, 22:25
I have found that a tyre on, a 4 wheel bogie, that is visibly deflated - ie different from the others, is at least 30% down on pressure.
A twin wheel would be visibly deflated at a much lower differential with its partner.