PDA

View Full Version : Mode-S enhanced surveillance, look&feel?

threemiles
26th Mar 2006, 18:16
It had been mentioned elsewhere here that London ATC is capable of receiving the Mode-S parameters called DAP, like IAS, MCP selected altitude, Heading, Mach, Roll Angle aso.

My questions would be:
Are these data available all the time at the radar console? Or do they need to be (electronically) requested for a particular airplane?
Are they displayed as part of the regular label or elsewhere on the screen?
Are these data of any value for you, do you regularily work with these?

Thanks for your answers

Over+Out
26th Mar 2006, 19:36
The data is always down-linked.
We always have the selected level displayed, we cannot swich this off. All the other data can be diplayed in various ways on our radar displays. An idividual aircraft can be ''hooked'' and in a Modes 'S' window we will see all the data for that one aircraft. The display can be set up so that all ground speed, all IAS or all headings can be seen as a quick look or selected 'on'. I find this facility very useful. This is a new tool for us and I think it is fair to say we are still learning to fully use it.
Its most useful funtion is to enable us to see the stacks ( for LL only at the moment) as a list, so no garbling.
I am very glad to have this extra tool.

Warped Factor
26th Mar 2006, 20:36
The stack windows are very good, becoming more used to seeing and checking the SFL and as the spacing is inexplicably eroding on final approach it's now quite usefull to be able to see who the culprit is!

You can see a picture here (http://www.eurocontrol.int:80/msa/public/standard_page/modes_tech_overview.html) of our vertical stack list.

WF.

threemiles
28th Mar 2006, 14:48
Thank you, that sounds promising...

Another question: how many flights do you estimate are properly equipped these days?

Barry Cuda
28th Mar 2006, 18:37
Thank you, that sounds promising...
Another question: how many flights do you estimate are properly equipped these days?

Into Heathrow it's probably only 25-30% that are equipped with the Enhanced Mode S (i.e SFL, IAS & HDG), whereas into Stansted and Luton it is probably closer to 75-80%!!!!

I believe that this is because the Lo-Cost airlines have newer a/c that are already fitted with Mode S transponders, whereas the big boys into Heathrow will have to retrofit the transponders over the course of normal maintenance schedules.