PDA

View Full Version : Radar requirements for SRA/SRE

jack-oh
26th Mar 2006, 14:00
Can anybody tell me what the actual radar requirements are in order to carry out an SRA/SRE approach.

It has long been folklore within the Mil that SRA/SRE can only be carried out using primary radar i.e. Watchman, which rotates at 15rpm. As the Mil does not go in for piggy backed SSR, if the Watchman is off the SSR should still be available from a different site but this usually rotates at 8rpm. This has always been considered as not good enough for the purposes of SRA approaches.

As most civil airports do use piggy backed primary/SSR, if the primary is off but the SSR on, are SRE approaches allowed.

Finally, my understanding of Mode S (SSR) is that it does not rely on the challenge/respond method but rather the ac just transmits at the maximum rate it can all the time. Therefore if you have a triangulated set of receivers that can receive this level of information and display it, will this mean that SRA/SRE approaches can be carried out without ever having primary radar at all. Thereby chipping away at the requirement for primary and potentially saving money.

chevvron
26th Mar 2006, 14:41
Civil APR units may only use standalone SSR when specifically authorised by the CAA. You might get away with doing an SSR only SRA as a last resort ie if no other procedure is available and the primary suddenly quits, but this will be limited to 2nm termination range or greater owing to the requirements to have permanent touchdown markers (less than 1nm) or non-permanent centreline markers (less than 2nm but not less than 1nm) on the radar display to ensure it is correctly set up.