PDA

View Full Version : Question: IFR flight plans and unmanned fields

Woof etc
25th Mar 2006, 08:18
Maybe you ATC types can help out on this one:

In our operation (North Africa) we often fly to unmanned strips with no facilities but on an IFR flight plan. First of all - is it possible to complete the entire flight in accordance with IFR (VMC conditions). If not at what point must IFR be cancelled? What about a departure from an unmanned field with no facilities? At what point does IFR commence if I have filed an IFR flight plan?

If I file an IFR flight plan to an unmanned field with no facilities (in VMC), can I use another unmanned field with no facilities as an alternate? If so what minima apply? My take on this is that the conditions would have to be VMC for the field to be used as an alternate.

Lastly, if a visual approach is requested (in controlled airspace) on an IFR flight plan is the IFR flight plan automatically cancelled or can it continue under IFR? Is the controller still responsible for traffic seperation?

foghorn
25th Mar 2006, 09:53
Referring to the UK.

Lastly, if a visual approach is requested (in controlled airspace) on an IFR flight plan is the IFR flight plan automatically cancelled or can it continue under IFR?

Even though you have requested a visual approach you are still under IFR. A visual approach is a valid type of IFR approach. It is different to explicitly cancelling your flight plan and continuing VFR.

Is the controller still responsible for traffic seperation?

Yes, on an IFR visual approach. However responsibility for vortex separation may be transferred to the pilot due to the uncontrolled nature of a visual approach by passing "Caution vortex wake, recommended spacing is n miles".

If you cancel your plan and go VFR, then it depends on the class of the airspace as to whether you'll be separated. In most UK CTRs, which are class D, you don't have to be separated from anything when VFR, you'll just get traffic info.

I'm not joking sir
25th Mar 2006, 09:55
if a visual approach is requested (in controlled airspace) on an IFR flight plan is the IFR flight plan automatically cancelled or can it continue under IFR?
That is still an IFR approach.
Is the controller still responsible for traffic seperation?
If it's Class D airspace then traffic info (VFR) will be passed but you are responsible for ensuring that seperation as IFR and VFR aren't seperated in Class D.
Sorry, just seen Foghorn's reply. I'll go back to looking out the window...

foghorn
25th Mar 2006, 10:03
Sorry, just seen Foghorn's reply. I'll go back to looking out the window...

Nice sheep :D

Woof etc
25th Mar 2006, 10:57
Thanks gents

What about the unmanned fields then?

Woof etc
25th Mar 2006, 15:27
Anybody got an answer?

bookworm
25th Mar 2006, 16:22
For the UK...
First of all - is it possible to complete the entire flight in accordance with IFR (VMC conditions).
Yes. All "unmanned" fields are outside controlled airspace. There is no obligation for an ATC clearance when flying IFR outside controlled airspace. At night, IFR are the only flight rules permitted to such "unmanned fields".
If I file an IFR flight plan to an unmanned field with no facilities (in VMC), can I use another unmanned field with no facilities as an alternate? If so what minima apply? My take on this is that the conditions would have to be VMC for the field to be used as an alternate.
For a public transport flight, the planning criteria depend on your ops manual. I don't know what the JAR-OPS view is of airports without published IAPs as alternates. For private flights, the requirement is only that
The commander ... satisfy himself ... that the flight can safely be made, taking into account the latest information available as to the route and aerodrome to be used, the weather reports and forecasts available and any alternative course of action which can be adopted in case the flight cannot be completed as planned;

Woof etc
26th Mar 2006, 06:59
Thanks, for the replies.