PDA

View Full Version : Instructing Class I or II medical

deltic
24th Mar 2006, 08:08
Just wondered if anyone know's if you need a class I or Class II for Instructing?

My understanding is that if you cant get a Class I you can still instruct on a Class II as we used to for hire and reward.

Also, if you can only instruct for hire and reward on a Class I, can you instruct on a non profit basis, by that I mean as long as your income don't exceed your costs (travel, renewals, equipment) over the financial year?

Thanks

(bottom line I feel that the cost of two medicals a year over 40 is becoming a taxation on part time instructors)

ToneTheWone
24th Mar 2006, 08:32
Deltic

The way I understand it, you need a Class 1 if you're going to get paid, but can instruct on a Class 2 if no money changes hands. If you try and claim the money you get paid is only to cover your expenses you may be on thin ice if the CAA find out.

Looked into this when I recently took my FI test as I didn't want to have to upgrade from a Class 2 just for the test. Only upgraded when the ticket arrived from the CAA. It is a bugger when you get to 40 as I estimate it costs £6 per week just for the medical:(

ToneTheWone.

LFS
24th Mar 2006, 08:47
Class 1 medical after 40 is now every year rather than six months

Mark 1
24th Mar 2006, 09:03
The Class 1 medical is valid for class 2 privileges and validity periods. So it is possible to renew a class 1 in springtime, use the class 1 privileges upto the autumn and then revert to class 2 privileges for the winter months.

The old UK class 2 medical is no longer relevant, and has all-but disappeared.

ToneTheWone
24th Mar 2006, 12:16
LFS

When did it change from 6 months to 1 year for the over 40's?

Renewed mine a month ago and it's only valid for 6 months, with Class 2 privileges valid for 2 years.

Great news if what you say is correct:ok:

aztec25
24th Mar 2006, 12:33
yes that over 40s post caught my eye.
What about the over 50s?
Az

LFS
24th Mar 2006, 13:21
There is a thread here on it http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198207

AME I was talking to said it should be effective from your next renewal.

Rivet gun
24th Mar 2006, 14:34
Careful, the rules haven't changed YET.

new rules (when confirmed) should mean 12 monthly between 40 and 60.

LFS
24th Mar 2006, 14:55
Apologies then, I had understood this was now in force.

deltic
24th Mar 2006, 17:18
In response to tonethewone, yes I'm still not clear what hire a reward is exactly, could I claim my travelling expenses, and for it still not be hire and reward? Has this situation ever been tested?

pilgrim flyer
25th Mar 2006, 08:19
Had my renewal last Tuesday and the AME told me of the proposed new rules re annual renewal. However he also stated that this would not apply to instructors as they fly with people who can't fly.

Unlike easyJet pilots et al....

PF

Whopity
25th Mar 2006, 15:30
To exercise the privileges of a CPL or ATPL you must have a valid Class 1; to exercise the privileges of a PPL you only need a Class II. If you instruct on a Class II you must abide by the PPL privileges and limitations.