View Full Version : Why do new pilots make so little?

Westjet FO
24th Mar 2006, 02:29
I recently got hired with a commercial carrier.After a year of waiting for my training schedule,18 weeks of simulator training and a 737 rating.All of this after 11 years of flying anything I could get my butt into.And what do I get?A starting salary about the same as a well paid fast food employee!!!
But that being said,there is nothing else I would rather do.

My question is this. Is it worth it in the end.I want to know from you experienced guys out there.Did any or all of you go through the same thing?

Thanks

nnc0
24th Mar 2006, 04:25
As opposed to what?

In the end, it's just a job, not a lifestyle so be careful how you measure worth. You work and study and train hard doing something you love and never lose sight of your goal. Then you reach it. Same as any other job that carries as much reponsibility. Then you give it your best every day. If you're still able to keep that basic love of whatever you do alive and if everything else in your life is in order and under control then once in a while you get those moments where everything comes together and you wouldn't want to be doing anything else no matter what it paid. That's when it's worth it.

When your personal life is messed up, you could be sitting on 100 acres in downtown Fort Macmurray and still not be happy.

click
24th Mar 2006, 06:05
Did any or all of you go through the same thing?

Yes. And the lobotomized few ended up......er, hmmm, well, without a paddle over here. Ya know what I mean?:E
Is it worth it in the end
Yes
Last time I was in YYC, I met a lot of shiny happy people working at your outfit. I'd say disregard the initial paycheque and concentrate on doing your job well and it will all fall in place together. When I first started at my current employer, my MONTHLY salary was something that I could make in a couple of days in Canada. Our CLA was on four pages. Today, things are a lot different but we couldn't have done it without the help of our colleagues at Skyteam and the ECA. The money is very nice to have, but it's also the conditions that mean a lot. Look around you, are you generally happy about what you see? If the answer is yes, you've got it made. The money will always follow if you are not afraid to work.
Ok, rant over...
Back on my head:E

Westjet FO
24th Mar 2006, 06:32
Thanks for the input guys.I do love the job,and the company I work for treats me great.I was prepared for this side of the industry,but still find it quite ironic that for the level of training,responsability,and commitment involved,the monitary side is remarkably low.
But like I said before.I scatched and clawed to get here,and there is nothing I'd rather do with my life.:rolleyes:

harry the cod
24th Mar 2006, 16:41
Then you've answered your own question my friend. And it's for this very reason that the Airlines DO pay so little. Q.E.D !

Harry

FAA fit / JAR unfit
27th Mar 2006, 07:45
Hi Westjet.. just for curiosity and you donīt have to answer, but how much is that fast-food employee salary?
Thanks

Re-Heat
27th Mar 2006, 10:17
Responsibility has nothing to do with it - oversupplied labour market has driven down rates.