PDA

View Full Version : Biggin Hill ATC Today

Big Hilly
23rd Mar 2006, 17:42
Was stuck in the 'great parking lot in the sky' above Biggin today and had a quick listen in on 129.4 whilst going 'round and 'round in circles and boy did it sound busy! The poor controller (who I have to say was doing a top job despite barely having time to take a breath) was rushed off his feet - even whilst dealing with a flapcopter in a flap. . .

Anyway, given the weather, the emergency (hope he got down safely btw) and the volume of traffic, I was surprised there weren't 2 freqs in use. Were you guys short staffed there today or was it just madness at the time I happened to tune in and quiet the rest of the day?

All the best,

BH

AlanM
23rd Mar 2006, 18:07
Hey BH - as you know it is madness ervyday on 129.4!

They were on 11/03 today - and it was sunny...... Looked busy on radar earlier.

(P.S. Wasn't you in the BIG hold who they couldn't raise on the RT earlier was it........???? :) )

foghorn
23rd Mar 2006, 19:22
I joined in listening on my way into Biggin towards the end of the incident. What happened? A 'copter with a chip detector light on?

Good to see 11 in use - not often you see that.

Big Hilly
23rd Mar 2006, 22:26
Hey BH - as you know it is madness ervyday on 129.4! Ha! True indeed, my old chum!
(P.S. Wasn't you in the BIG hold who they couldn't raise on the RT earlier was it........???? :) ) Ah yes. . . Sorry 'bout that. . . Damn First Officer was trying to get me the cricket score. . . :) ;)
BH

Dizzee Rascal
24th Mar 2006, 08:39
Big Hilly, I wish I knew who you are!

I was on duty at the time you mention and yes, the chopper landed safely and departed again a short while later.

I am unable comment on the rest :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :{ :eek: :*

DR

Big Hilly
24th Mar 2006, 08:55
I was on duty at the time you mention
Well Dizz, if that was you, then i take my hat off to you sir! You need to get over to Thames and show Alan and his chums how it's done properly!!! :) ;)

Seriously though, over the years I've heard many a controller (both Civ & Mil) lose the plot with half that work-load so a bl00dy good job well done!

Big Hilly, I wish I knew who you are!
That, I'm afraid must remain a dark secret but, I do now know who you are young man! :}
BH

SATCO Biggin
24th Mar 2006, 10:20
if that was you, then i take my hat off to you sir!
That, I'm afraid must remain a dark secret

Aha but we now know that you wear a hat !:E

Kak Klaxon
24th Mar 2006, 10:47
I think big hilly is that old bloke who used to live in his car round by Fairflight.Cross between father christmas and a tramp, anyone else remember him walking around the airport day and night in all weathers?

SATCO Biggin
24th Mar 2006, 11:10
anyone else remember him walking around the airport day and night in all weathers?

Poor old Ron who ended up living rough after his flying club went out of business. Latterly he 'occupied' one of the old blast pens and named it 'Rose Cottage'. :D

We eventualy got him into sheltered accomodation a few miles away.

Big Hilly
24th Mar 2006, 14:08
Aha but we now know that you wear a hat !:E
It's more a Deerstalker really. . . :E

BH

Dizzee Rascal
24th Mar 2006, 15:40
It's more a Deerstalker really. . . :E

BH

WANTED
The full identity of a "Pilot" who uses the name Big Hilly who may look something like this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/dizzee_rascal/BH1.jpg

Reward: Free Landing Fees for life courtesy of SATCO Biggin.

PS. Leave Alan alone, he is a good Tin Pot Radio Operator, infact, one of the finest around.
PPS. Why not come and meet me, you are welcome to visit us in ATC ANYTIME.

SATCO Biggin
24th Mar 2006, 16:06
I think Mr Rascal that you are letting this get to you a bit too much. Come and see me in my office after school. :uhoh:

Big Hilly
24th Mar 2006, 16:40
It's a fair cop, Dizz! I surrender! :eek: :D
PPS. Why not come and meet me. . .
My Mum warned me about boys like you. . .

BH

AlanM
24th Mar 2006, 16:46
I echo DRs comments (except those mentioning being welcome to visit!! :))

Oh dear DR - SATCO Biggun is gonna duff you up. Or sack you...... ;)

Big Hilly
24th Mar 2006, 17:09
. . . (except those mentioning being welcome to visit!! :))Oh no! And there was me really looking forward to being bored to tears, ad nauseum, about the finer points of BMW ownership. . . :D :p

BH

Dizzee Rascal
24th Mar 2006, 17:10
Or sack you...... ;)

One can only hope, I'll be able to accept that £100K NATS post after all!;)

PPRuNe Radar
24th Mar 2006, 20:19
One can only hope, I'll be able to accept that £100K NATS post after all!

Alas not. After Alpha16's character reference, you will be lucky to get a job as a Government minister :p

clicker
25th Mar 2006, 05:56
Poor old Ron who ended up living rough after his flying club went out of business.

By any chance did his surname begin with "B" and the club "AFC" or AFS".

If so he gave me my only flying lesson many many years ago. Had to drop out as failed the medical on eyesight grounds.

Even though I meet him only two or three times found him to be a very likeable and pleasant gent.

10 marks out of 5 for getting him sorted out.

Talkdownman
25th Mar 2006, 07:02
get over to Thames and show Alan and his chums how it's done properly!!!
But GA outside CAS doesn't like it when it is 'done properly' ;)

AlanM
25th Mar 2006, 07:25
Come on BH - you are out of the closet now!

Maybe you should donate your Blue Peter Badge to DR?? :):ok:

chevvron
25th Mar 2006, 07:43
TDM/AlanM - I hope you're taking it in turns to use the PC

Dizzee Rascal
25th Mar 2006, 10:39
SATCO B, you are not allowed to name names.

Big Hilly
25th Mar 2006, 21:53
Maybe you should donate your Blue Peter Badge to DR?? :):ok:
Nope, you've lost me there! . . .

BH

miss golitely
30th Mar 2006, 18:31
Talking of 'closets' DR isn't there something you'd like to share with us? And the fella in the deerstalker, well I know his first name is Sherlock, but the rest is a bit of a mystery.......