PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind Cross Control effect on T/O distance?

mscar
23rd Mar 2006, 17:38
From my understanding crossing the controls on a Crosswind Takeoff effects the drag force acting on an aircraft on take-off and hence Take-off distance required by the aircraft. Whether this distance is large I don't know.
Does anyone know of any reports/research articles that investigate the prescribed effect?

Thanks for any possible feedback.

mscar

notdavegorman
23rd Mar 2006, 17:52
I understand easyJet asked this question to Boeing. Their response was basically the extra drag generated with cross controls during the take off roll can be assumed as being taken into account with the safety factor, and to use as much into wind control wheel as is needed to maintain directional control.

mscar
24th Mar 2006, 07:51
Thanks, would anyone have any info as to how it would affect aircraft not used in commercial operations?

Thanks again,

mscar

john_tullamarine
26th Mar 2006, 10:14
I think that it is fair to say that the effect of crosswind on takeoff distance has been sort of ignored by the Standards folk in the Regulatory business .. suggest you might like to raise this question in Tech Log and see if you get a bit more meat in the answers .. certainly, there are a couple of academics in the sandpit who have particular interests in this problem and, if you are lucky enough to entice them into the discussion, then you will get some very expert advice ...

mscar
27th Mar 2006, 07:46
Thanks for the advice jtulla, I'll try that.

mscar