PDA

View Full Version : Palmpilots and approach plates..

OneIn60rule
23rd Mar 2006, 09:09
Just ouf of interest. Is there a way to store approach plates on palm pilots and if you did have one, would you be allowed to use it during your IR test or would it have to much of an impact on the aircraft equipment?

sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Capt Claret
23rd Mar 2006, 12:14
You're obviously a youngster with fresh, new eyes. As a crusty olde f@rt, I find reading the Jeppesen charts difficult enough, without trying to read it from a small palm pilot screen.

It, or something similar is probably the way of the future.

Superpilot
23rd Mar 2006, 13:52
The only way I can think of is using Adobe Acrobat for Palm. Obviously you'd need your Approach Plate in pdf format. But the Palm version totally screws up any graphics. Bear in mind a Palm's (e.g T3) screen is less than a 1/3 of the size of your Approach charts!

Jepp do official tablet PC style units but they're not cheap.

So all in all, not possible yet (sadly). On the other hand if your looking for a Palm GPS... you can go to www.flight-master.com.

Clarence Oveur
23rd Mar 2006, 14:01
The SonyŽ Reader shold do the trick. 6-inch screen, Memory-stick or SD card with your Jepp plates in PDF format. Better battery life than PDAs.

OzExpat
25th Mar 2006, 04:03
Assuming that your eyesight can handle the information on such a small screen, the only other thing is to ensure that you can keep the approaches up to date!

AerocatS2A
25th Mar 2006, 07:10
What format do the electronic Jepps come in? PDF?

pakeha-boy
26th Mar 2006, 14:48
Jet Blue (jfk) uses the electronic jepps,they seem to like the setup,I believe it is PDF....a few small glitches,but the word seems to be ,these are the future!!!...