PDA

View Full Version : Airport Layouts

DonDave
22nd Mar 2006, 17:42
Does anybody have any links for airfield layouts (i.e manchester, heathrow, stanstead etc). Im trying to get a feeling about how airfields are set and advantages/disadvantages for certain runway positions (parallel, cross, how far apart, position from apron.)

If anyone knows of anywhere it would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

jb5000
22nd Mar 2006, 18:30
Go for the UK AIP:

www.ais.org.uk

You will need to register but once you're in go into the AIP and the "Aerodromes - Specific" section and you'll be able to find the charts in there.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Mar 2006, 18:41
Main runways are usually aligned with the prevailing wind. As to the position of runways relative to the terminal area.. a lot depends on what space is available. If there isn't much then the runways will be close to the terminal..

TATC
22nd Mar 2006, 18:58
Main runways are usually aligned with the prevailing wind. As to the position of runways relative to the terminal area.. a lot depends on what space is available. If there isn't much then the runways will be close to the terminal..

or they'll try and squeeze as many stands as they can in between parrallel runways

NudgingSteel
22nd Mar 2006, 19:19
Depends where the space is available....they might put a second runway in, further away from the terminal, just a paltry 390m from the first runway!

cossack
22nd Mar 2006, 20:05
they might put a second runway in, further away from the terminal, just a paltry 390m from the first runway!
Or they might put a 5th runway in (06R/24L), further from the terminal, just a paltry 1000 feet from nearest one! :ok:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e172/YYZTower/YYZRunways.jpg
There are plans for a 6th in the location I have drawn in. Should be fun! Oh and the prevailing wind is from 280 degrees!!!:ugh: