PDA

View Full Version : Parker Pen hours

red8
19th Mar 2006, 22:25
What is the general response from the industry when someone is caught logging hours they really shouldn't have?

B Sousa
19th Mar 2006, 23:03
Generally you will hear, it shouldnt be done, its a sin etc......But there are a couple Chief Pilots who flew over 500 hours in a week...........Didnt hurt them much.

Dan Winterland
20th Mar 2006, 01:16
In the UK, it's dismissal.

SASless
20th Mar 2006, 01:34
Don't write checks your skills and experience cannot cash.

It will be your un-doing if you get caught....and it depends upon what you are fibbing about.

If it involves hours for licenses and the CAA/FAA find out....your goose will be way over cooked.

B Sousa
20th Mar 2006, 03:00
Seriously, who really checks anymore. Flew with a guy in Alaska, ATPs Airplane, Helicopter etc........Hes on this site and would scream bloody murder if I mentioned his name.
Anyway He couldnt find Fairbanks from 10 miles out, OAS said he would never get carded from them after their check Pilot had to take over the controls, and he claims 10K plus hours.
The other guys I mentioned work for Major Helicopter companies and are also probably waiting for me to "defame" them.
"Fly what you have too, log what your need."
As long as you dont get caught, the world could give a sh1t less.

Sasless, trust me the FAA is not really interested in doing anything other than getting a paycheck......You think Im kidding, I have watched the Puerto Rican FAA office RAMP a guy picking up a charter to go out of country. No 135 certificate, N numbered aircraft, Non-US citizen operating on FAA License, and more. Guess what, Hes still pi55ing on their leg as all they do is write a report.
Theres not enough room on this forum for the rest.

B200Drvr
20th Mar 2006, 05:31
Further to that if you have an accident or incident, you will be found out! and there is a good chance insurance will never pay a penny, even if by that time you have got past the legit. required hours for whatever you are doing.
IMHO it is only lying to ones self, and if you are prepared to help yourself out in this way, where are you going to draw the line. Everytime you fly with Mr Parker you put yourself a little further behind the experience drag curve, untill you are so far behind that people start to suspect, and that is the end.

Desperate Wannabe
20th Mar 2006, 08:42
Ahmen B200
All very good and well loging hours with Mr. Parker, but as B200 has said, it all comes out in the wash, and generaly when you least expect it.
The chief pilots and the guys who are going to take you for your checkride for that first all elusive job are no fools, when you rock up for the interveiw with your good looking logbook with your "hundreds and hundreds" of hours and get the check out, your check pilot is gonna see right away that you fly like a weekend worrior with 200hrs, a rat is smelt and it's down hill for you from there.
This industry is far too small and close knit to go about doing sh:mad: t like that, everyone will know in a week.:uhoh:

I know heaps of guys that did comm with me and have at least twice the amount of hours in thier logbooks than they have flown.

Oh well, I guess I will just keep running into that steel re-inforced brick wall with my 350hrs, and try and convince myself it's a moral issue.....now where did I put my parker:confused:

nugpot
20th Mar 2006, 10:14
SAX will fire you. Have done so before!

chuks
20th Mar 2006, 10:28
There was a high-profile case in the States not long ago. This fellow had inked in a few hours, got caught and tried to argue that the hours were not necessary for the issue of the license so 'no harm done.'

The FAA revoked his licenses and then barred him from re-applying for them for a certain period. I think it was two years but I cannot remember the exact details. That is not a case of 'after two years you get your licenses back,' but rather that you had to wait for however long it is before trying to get your licenses back by taking all the required tests. So it's pretty harsh.

On the collegial side, if it becomes known that you have Parker 51 time then that gives you a certain sleazy reputation that will stick like glue. Pilots are very gossipy, at least all the ones I know are, and the 'bush telegraph' will put out the word about your peccadilloes faster than you can believe. It might be better to think up a way to get the required hours in another way or else go find some other job.

Sir Cumference
22nd Mar 2006, 08:52
It is like cheating at golf! Someone who cheats in the logbook is likely to cheat elsewhere. I agree that they will be found out. The aviation industry is very small and in my view there is no space for cheats!

SC

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Mar 2006, 09:42
Definitely not on. An accurate reflection of experience is a valuable self marketing tool at interviews and as has been said, if the experience stated doesn't tally with the actual operation of the aircraft it's a dead giveaway.

As an aside, I notice posts 2 & 5 on this thread are missing. Self moderation or deleted by mods? Didn't see anything untoward and no mention of it in other posts on here....Nope, no interference from the mods on this one. 4HP

Kittycat
22nd Mar 2006, 11:58
I know about this dude that logs normal hours as nighttime!(as he needs nighttime hours for his ATPL) I know about this, cause he is bragging about it! What a loser...!:*

Avi8tor
23rd Mar 2006, 08:51
Hmmm....its right up there with 7 people doing a 'van rating in a hr flying. 1 does the take-off, 1 the steep turn.....

I know we all have to eat, but there is more to being a pilot than getting a job, people get hurt in this industry.

Round Engine
23rd Mar 2006, 09:58
This doesn't have anything to do with a certain smooth operator from Wonderboom does it? Pretty pricey for 15 mins stick time...:confused:

Soap Box Cowboy
24th Mar 2006, 20:40
May all the little B:mad: s who B:mad: t their hours

BURN ETERNALLY IN HELL

Little whiney buggers like that screw it up for the rest of us andd give the industry a bad name.

But it's a small community so once it is know your log book is more fictional than fact, you can be sure word will get out and any descent operator won't touch you :}

nutcracker43
25th Mar 2006, 09:10
I know of two fellows who have done this...both from Australia. One was found out when he massaged his hours to the tune of 1500. Unfortunately someone (A CAA man in PNG) had worked with him in PNG and worked with him again elsewhere, and noticed the disparity. Whether action was taken by the company I am less able to say but suspect, not.

The other fellow was a co pilot (a good one as it happens but imo, and the opinion of others, is unlikely to ever make captain) who had two log books. One for the company and another whereby he booked much of his co-pilot time as captain.:sad:

NC43

Woof etc
25th Mar 2006, 09:55
Parker Pen hours are for the rich guys.

I can only afford to log Bic hours.

(kidding - honestly!)

R.Cruizo
25th Mar 2006, 13:56
Hey Nutcracker 43,
Did this 1st Aussie guy fly in a certain Indian Ocean island nation for 2 years? Because the " massage " is bigger than 1500 hrs if it's the same I'm thinking of!!

nutcracker43
25th Mar 2006, 14:15
RC

The fellow worked in PNG with 'x' no of hours. Post PNG his hours were, in fact just slightly less than 2000 more than he should have had when he came to work in our part of the world (I should have said 1500 plus...the extra hours referred to mainly underslung and mountain work). I do believe he went and worked elsewhere in the Indian ocean area and is now back in OZ...might be one and the same person.

NC43

R.Cruizo
25th Mar 2006, 23:18
Nope different Guy,
He was a fixed wing driver who managed to log 4000 hrs in 18 months. Then tried to get it " endorsed" by the company!!

It did catch up with him rather badly at Regional airline Sim ride later on.

Cheers

Cruizo.

chuks
27th Mar 2006, 16:02
I had a charter flight from Miami to Daytona one morning. My pax were two bright young lawyer-types (just the sort of people you look forward to sharing your space in a small aircraft with - not!)

As we were walking out to our bug-smasher the one who had nominated himself for the right seat asked me, 'How many hours IFR do you have?'

I thought that was a very odd question, but I told him that I had about a thousand hours of instrument time, I guessed.

'I have 1,700 hours! Perhaps I should be the pilot!'

'Golly, that's a lot! Umm, how much total time do you have?'

'1,900 hours. Why do you ask?'

What the hell, was this guy usually flying in Alaska, or what? Or was he just another clown who logged all his time IFR as actual instrument time?

'Well, it's a pretty nice day and I have about 3,500 total time, so I guess I shall be the pilot, if that's okay with you...'

We were using a clapped-out old Baron 55, with the gear switch on the right and the flap switch on the left, by the way.

Our high-time hero made a big production out of getting (my personal) Jepp manual out and extracting the low-level enroute chart while I, slacker that I was, was planning to just keep the green on the left, the blue on the right and the relevant frequencies in my mind for our long-distance flight to Daytona Beach. I guess he was making a point there.

I had already lifted off 09L and was turning north over the beach as he had finished molesting my Jepp manual. He clapped it closed and made as if to put it back on the floor. Instead the clumsy jerk caught the gear switch with the spine of the manual on the way down.

The poor old Baron must have lost about 30 knots as the gear popped back out, way past Vle. I just grabbed it and put the wheels back up, hoping that we hadn't dropped a gear door on some faygelah's cherry convertible down on A1A.

'What was THAT?' asked our hero.

'YOU just put the gear down. Please put the book on the floor and try not to touch anything else.'

'Huh! What a stupid place to put the gear switch!'

Better tell Olive Ann Beech about that, was all I could think.

The moral of the story is: don't try to BS a BSer. Lie about your hours, or even exaggerate a little bit, and you will be found out much quicker than you know.