PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Pilots

hoss
19th Mar 2006, 19:27
Where are Jetstar recruiting their Pilots from?

I have heard rumours that they are recruiting from GA and I am interested to know what the ground school size is and how often?

Are they getting the interest from returning expatriates?

In the QF regionals we dont hear too much about this and have only seen a handful 'get in'.

:)

ur2
19th Mar 2006, 21:28
I was told that they won't know how many experienced 320/330 crew are required until they find out how many ( if any) of the current 320 crews want to go over to the 330.
I was also told that not many of the 320 pilots are interested in going to J* Int.

Break Right
19th Mar 2006, 21:47
so why the hell did 75% vote yes to the new wide body eba!!! bl:mad: :mad: dy f:mad: :mad: ls

Pete Conrad
19th Mar 2006, 22:12
Break right, because if you have never had anything and suddenly get presented with a shiny new 787, the neanderthal instinct comes out.

Watchdog
19th Mar 2006, 23:02
Could it be the yes votes came mostly from those with three stripes seeking four stripes :confused:

LookinDown
19th Mar 2006, 23:10
A breakdown of the vote would certainly be interesting.

UNOME
20th Mar 2006, 00:14
I do know of a retired Airforce guy with no jet time, about 3000hrs total, 45yrs old and hasn't flown for about 5yrs.

Started two weeks ago, no B.S.

The ex-AN management guys have a list of their former peers (mates) who they will not allow into J*, (for whatever small-minded reason.)

QF human resources must really be sharp to not even interview seriously experienced Airbus pilots, just because some "little" guy holds a grudge, or is jealous, or feels threathened by his former peers who are flying A340/330 internationally!

Best man for the job, equal opportunity employer??

Remember it costs the Airline nothing to interview these guys, or would that just show how asinine the management behaviour is?:rolleyes:

evyjet
20th Mar 2006, 00:23
Has anyone had any experience from the time of application, to interview?

I guess if they have a "boys club" policy, it could be indefinate until that source is depleted.

Not What you know!! But that's no different in any industry I guess.

Maybe things will start heating up when all the 787's start arriving in a couple of years.

Evyjet

Howard Hughes
20th Mar 2006, 00:30
Has anyone had any experience from the time of application, to interview?
Bloody quick.....:ok:

Ralph the Bong
20th Mar 2006, 01:39
I am aware that many ex_AN drivers have applications in at J* . Many have much A320/330/340 time. None would have less than 10,000 hrs total time. I dont think that any will leave good jobs to go to this gig, there would have to be a substancial carrot involved.

A lot of guys here in VN just forked out big $$$$$ for B777 type ratings and are'nt keen to do it again so soon. I guess if J* want people with experience and proven ability, they will have to reconsider their stance on pay-for-rating.

Jet Jockey
20th Mar 2006, 02:36
Heard of a few Eastern Pilot's, Pelair and Jet Connect guys have got jobs recently and by all accounts acquitted themselves very well though check to line process.
I think you will find the old Ansett "Pats" simulator system that ranked all pilots according to sim scores and line checks maybe haunting a few ex An types.

Pass-A-Frozo
20th Mar 2006, 02:48
Understand that. However, how do you know a lot of them don't have plans for other things than flying widebody jetstar all their life? Yes, a lot of them probably did take the conditions so they could get the hours up on the right type to get a better paying job.

People in GA do that every day? Take crap pay to build hours for the job you wanted? People go to Uni to build an education up whilst mates are out earning $$$.

Hugh Jarse
20th Mar 2006, 05:12
Hoss, check PM's mateyyy;)

UNOME wrote: Remember it costs the Airline nothing to interview these guys.......
Incorrect. Although the "user pays", it costs a couple of grand per candidate in resources from accepting application till completion. That is in addition to what the applicant forks out.

QF human resources must really be sharp to not even interview seriously experienced Airbus pilots, just because some "little" guy holds a grudge, or is jealous, or feels threathened by his former peers who are flying A340/330 internationally!
If you are talking about JQ recruiting, QF HR has nothing to do with it.... In fact, during the D.E.C. intake there was a good "mix" of experience.

Oops, sorry. This is a rumour network. I shouldn't have posted facts:} PPFaNE doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well ;)

http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/no-kicking-of-balls.jpg

Gidday!:8

kavakid
20th Mar 2006, 11:22
had a interview 2 weeks ago but didn't get passed stage 1 obviously i don't fit into there envelope even though im flying similar a/c. obviously they don't want pilot's they want people who can fit into Q 's psyc profile. good luck to all who wish to join them. i still have good job.

Woomera
20th Mar 2006, 18:48
Look you lot: Hoss asked a couple of simple questions, and you can't resist but get into a slanging match! You offendersknow who you are, because your posts have been deleted. Stay on topic, or else :suspect:

Cranky Woomera (Eastern States)

Its the Pleats
20th Mar 2006, 22:50
Hi all,

Has anybody done the '90 minute planning exercise' that happens on the same day as the panel interview? PM me if you prefer...

'...plan to get a bank loan, ha ha ha...' I get it, I get it!

ITCZ
20th Mar 2006, 23:20
Getting back to your initial question hoss....

These are just my experiences plus a few wise words from senior JQ pilots and others involved in JQ pilot selection.

Self applied via StaffCV in November 04. Got call from Juliette (recruitment consultant for JQ) mid April 05.

Have heard others waited longer, and some others waited less.

I had nothing in the "who do you know at Jetstar" box.

Other things to keep in mind with JQ recruitment process.

When you ask "how many people in groundschools and how often" I wonder if you are thinking that JQ recruitment and induction is run along QF lines. Short answer is no it is not.

It was set up by JQ and is managed by consultants hired by JQ. It has very little to do with QF recruitment people.

It is completely driven by the StaffCV database. Every recruitment effort starts with a search of the database.

If you go back and take a look at the generic questions and the JQ specific questions in the StaffCV application, you will note that there are no questions about age, marital status etc.

Not all searches of the database are done to the same criteria. Sometimes they are looking for experience on type (suitable to progress to left hand seat in a short time), other times they are simply looking for FO.

You do have to jump through the QF psychometric hoops, but unlike QF, it is not a 'gate' that you have to pass through before further consideration. It is considered alongside flying experience, sim check, and interview.

They have taken GA, ex Mil, ex AN, ex PNG, QF regional, other regional, all sorts.

There are no "bans" or "gentlemans agreements" to stop JQ from depleting the ranks of QF regionals or associated operations.

Neither do the NJS boys and girls that trained on 717 with Jetstar enjoy any special advantage.

Of those that pass through all the recruitment hoops, not all make it to the line. The most oft given reason for what looked like a good applicant, failing to qualify, is usually poor flight management in the sim.

There is some disappointment with the recommend-a-pilot system. Existing JQ pilots were invited to put their names against one pilot applicant as a recommendation if they thought that pilot would be a good choice for JQ. Unfortunately it seems the recommendations have been more to benefit 'mates' than assist the company to find good candidates, so such recommendations don't carry much weight in the recruitment process anymore.

Just the bits I have been told, from people whose job it is to know these things.

airamerica
20th Mar 2006, 23:56
ITCZ Please check your PM's
Thanks
AA

touchncloth
21st Mar 2006, 01:15
So exactly who, other than your mates, do Geoff-star expect you to recommend:confused:

ALL companies appreciate recommendations, its a way of assisting your mates to have them short-listed. They generally carry no weight, as the individual has to perform in the respective process.

9Ws
21st Mar 2006, 04:32
In keeping with the original question on this post... does anyone here know if Jetstar will take me on as a F/O?

Got 500+ hours on the A319, 320 & 321 as F/O and more than 4600 hours total time...

...but haven't got the "1000 hours Pilot in Command (excluding ICUS)" they ask for. How important is that and will they waive it for anyone with experience and rated on type?

Have got some 4200+ EFIS hours in Regional and Airline operations overseas, and the rest of their requirements in place.

Have applied to them long ago (and updated) on the staffcv website, but haven't heard from them apart from their usual 'auto-reply'... and don't know who to email there as the only contact address given is the Mascot address.

UNOME
21st Mar 2006, 07:17
Huge ass-man

All very quaint and soooooo pro company line. You of course sit in the office and show HR your propaganda on Pprune?

Stage 1 is payed for by the user and the rest is a major ATO write off. The endorsement is pure profit, after tax.

If a realistic system of fielding applicants exsited, do you really think any company requiring pilots to fly medium haul international, would overlook qualified experienced type rated applicates (at the first stage), in lieu of canditates who have not flown for 5 yrs and have no jet experience?? All very "equal opportunity", yeah right!!

Allowing all applicants to pay for the first stage and then fail them would cease any further costs you suggest.

However, should they pass when so many have failed stage 1 before them (and still been employed) may cause a few eyebrows to raise as to why these guys were not assessed before!!:cool:

BTW wot is with the Jap stuff in your post?? :8

hoss
21st Mar 2006, 20:05
Thankyou for the replies and PM's, it all helps put things in perspective:) .

Normasars
21st Mar 2006, 21:23
UNOME,

I happen to know Hugh and he AINT repeat AINT the company man you are insinuating. He is a white man and one of the best so lay off him!!!!!!!!

Norma

Hugh Jarse
22nd Mar 2006, 01:35
Thanks for your support, Normasars:E

UNOME, I don't sit in an office :8 I just felt like sharing some FACTS about the overall cost of recruiting.

If a realistic system of fielding applicants exsited, do you really think any company requiring pilots to fly medium haul international, would overlook qualified experienced type rated applicates (at the first stage), in lieu of canditates who have not flown for 5 yrs and have no jet experience?? All very "equal opportunity", yeah right!!So you suggest that companies exclude all those that aren't type rated? How "equal opportunity" is that? Besides, you misunderstand the meaning of EEO. That is discrimination based on religion, gender, race, sexuality etc. Not qualifications!:} :}

The problem we all face UNOME, is every airline believes it has the best recruiting system. For example, look how many Oz expats are working in Hong Kong. Just from my lilittle part of the world, I can recall at least 30 former work colleagues who "weren't good enough" to slide across to QF mainline, yet were fine for CX and Dragonair. And they are some of the best pilots and people I've had the opportunity to fly with.....I'm sure you and hundreds of others have similar stories to tell.

I can tell you now that having type and/or route experience doesn't necessarily make you more suitable for the job than "canditates who have not flown for 5 yrs and have no jet experience??" (your words). You can have all the technical qualifications and still be a lousy employee. Tech qualifications are only one facet of the big picture...That's why you have the battery of tests, a sim ride and interview.

Most of the time, the airline gets the sort of person they want (or deserve):} However, some of the time they don't....

Here's a little run down of just some of the costs associated with recruiting:

1. QF sells the sim time to whichever airline is recruiting = EXPENSE;

2. The recruiting airline has to resource the sim instructor. Usually that means taking him off line for the whole day if he's a line pilot = EXPENSE;

3. The recruiting airline has to take at least one pilot off line for the interview panel = EXPENSE;

4. The recruiting airline has to provide the interviewers from HR = EXPENSE;

5. The recruiting airline has to pay StaffCV for hosting = EXPENSE;

6. The recruiting airline has to resource HR staff to process the applications = EXPENSE;

7. The recruiting airline (in some instances) has to transport and accommodate the candidate and/or recruiting team interstate or overseas = HUGE EXPENSE

You might say "stiff cheddar - that's all part of big business". Sure. I'm just pointing out that the candidate would be significantly worse off, if the company passed on all the costs of recruiting.

BTW wot is with the Jap stuff in your post??
Just my light-hearted attempt at some humour. People take themselves too seriously around here;)

http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/fook-yew.jpg

Good luck with your job search, UNOME. Attitudes like yours are pretty easy to sniff out.:}

One final tip. Over 90% of misspelled resumes & CVs end up N.F.A.;)

Normasars
22nd Mar 2006, 04:03
Hey Jarse,

check your PM,s

Norma

UNOME
23rd Mar 2006, 02:58
MMMmmm.....well I hope you and normass have fun up on Brokeback mountain.

Equal Opportunity. That's actually what I said. Therefore, why discriminate against the type rated experienced quailified guy at the first stage? How do you know he will be any better or more lousy than the other guy unless you at least do first stage??:bored:

Are you seriously suggesting that when the staff CV is reviewed, the HR guy says to himself "oh look at this guy; has no jet/or any fixed wing time, 45yrs old, hasn't flown for 5yrs, can't spell but, perfect for this job, let's spend a couple of $$$ interviewing him."

Or is this more like it.. "oh now look at this next guy; airbus type rated with command time, great references, massive airline experinence blah, blah, blah.." I better call ex-An management, "Hey Capt W, how about this guy? no huh, not even first stage? won't cost us just to have look. BIG NO, roger!"
Sorry pal N.F.A, you know we got to make it equal. :sad:

Best person for the job or just a little selective discrimination and nepotism at play?:E

Normasars
23rd Mar 2006, 03:14
UDONTNOME

I agree with your post, but still stand by what I said. Jarse is a great bloke and he really doesn't care @ the company as I can assure you they HAVE NOT cared about him.
So stick it in ya @rse.:ok:

WaldoPepper
23rd Mar 2006, 04:11
Jarse,

Obviously you've been up this way lately. Here's another funny shop front for you.

I have also flown with Jarse and will vouch for him being a great guy :ok:

http://www.rubyslipper.com.au/WebImages/DSCN2494.jpg

WP

Hugh Jarse
23rd Mar 2006, 04:14
MMMmmm.....well I hope you and normass have fun up on Brokeback mountain.

Illiterate, racist and a homophobe :suspect: Sticks and stones...

Don't even know why I bothered responding..However - You are obviously the "airbus type rated with command time, great references, massive airline experinence blah, blah, blah.." and can't get a stage 1. You must have heard that "this guy; has no jet/or any fixed wing time, 45yrs old, hasn't flown for 5yrs, can't spell but, perfect for this job" did get a stage 1.

Let me get this right: You believe that you are being discriminated against, because you allege somebody inside Jetstar has it in for you from your Ansett days?

POPO = Prove (it) Or Piss Off.

If you talk to Julyet or the other HR people in the manner you write on these forums, no wonder they won't give you a chance.

Good luck with your Jetstar application......:} :} :} :yuk:

UNOME
23rd Mar 2006, 05:13
Take your cowboy hat off and settle petal. I am not the one who is posting derogatory anti-Asian photos. :eek:

However, I apologise for unwittingly inciting your ire and for being illiterate.:ok:

ITCZ posted prior to me, his "inside" info on the "mates" employment policy of Jet*. It is also a verifiable fact that there remains a substantial "standards" problem in the Jet* recruitment process. (POPO covered)

If you believe that there is no discrimination or nepotism occurring, then you are welcome to remain myopic. However, please allow the rest of us to raise our observations and opinions. ;)

BTW you have still not explained why such suitable applicates would not be allowed to sit at least stage 1? (POPO covered again)

Finally, I am not "the massively experienced Airbus guy" and I did pass stage I in 1986. I have in fact spoken with Tim and Juliet and they feel for the "very suitable applicants with a little black cross next to their names":8 But their reference list must be adhered too.

I simply feel that it is grossly unfair and bad for the future of the airline.

Now I'm going to POPO off to pitch a tent with my fishin' buddy!:p

boeingwest
23rd Mar 2006, 05:51
Surely this post has run its course Woomera?? They're just getting catty now (unome), where's that ***click*** we've all come to know and love ey'? :O

Woomera
23rd Mar 2006, 06:23
Done!

** Click! **:}