PDA

View Full Version : where and how much?

stall recovery
19th Mar 2006, 14:23
Hello all,

Please accept my apologies if this is a subject that has been well covered in the past.

I am seriously considering becoming an FI but know very little of the training and cost involved. Can anybody give me an indication of how long it would take and what sort of money I would need to spend? I am currently living in the South East but I am willing to travel to attend the right school.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

SR

Craggenmore
19th Mar 2006, 18:09
I did mine at Goodwood, W.Sussex, with Rod Jarvis. Go and pay them a visit. Graham Turner will show you around.

Expect to do a week of ground school with GT first, then the flying will start with RJ afterwards. Expect to pay 5.5k up to 6k depending on the fuel hike. You will fly and spin in the Tomahawk pretty much 5 days a week. In good wx conditions, I reckon RJ would get you through in about 30 days, perhaps less if you are on your own. Its roughly 2 briefings and 2 flights per day (either side of lunch) with a syllabus of 30 hours or so

Its a well structured course with the highest level of tuition (IMHO :) ) I cant tell you how much I learnt.

Good luck

OpenCirrus619
20th Mar 2006, 09:00
I have heard good things about Clive Elesmore - in fact I'm starting a course with him in a few weeks time.

The website SE Aviation (http://www.seaviation.co.uk/contact.htm) shows him based at Lydd - but I'm going to be doing mine from Headcorn (Lashenden).

Cost sounds about the same as at Goodwood.

Give Clive a call and have a chat :ok:

OC619

rhwheeler
20th Mar 2006, 10:00
Rod Jarvis and Clive Elesmore for the course and Chris Gould for the FI test.

Goodwood and Lydd have distinct weather advantages and easy access to training areas.

There are also good people at Old Sarum and Wellesbourne Mountford.

Course requirements and costs are published on the respective web sites. Goodwood will give you prices and course start dates when you call.

Regards,

Richard.

18greens
25th Mar 2006, 08:24
You can also be trained by RAF instructors (DEFTS) at Barkston Heath. Highly recommended.

http://www.cranwell.raf.mod.uk/Organisation/EFT/DEFTS.html

ABO944
25th Mar 2006, 13:29
Sorry to jump in on you thread "Stall Recovery" ........

Could someone please describe the FIC flight test you do after all the training has taken place .... how long does it take to complete and whats involved!?

Cheers :ok:

GusHoneybun
25th Mar 2006, 13:41
the test normally take the best part of a day.

you will have to prepare and deliver a 45 minute lecture. the examiner will normally contact you a few days before to give you the subject. expect lots of questions and make sure you know your stuff.

then you end up chatting about the ppl, what the requirements are, what they are aloud to do. also discuss what an FI privileges are. the best way to swot up for this is to read and inwardly digest LASORS.

then you will have a flying test. this will involve pattering a pre defined lesson ( normally straight and level or one of the early lessons ). this is normally done without any notes. then you will be asked (with the aid of notes) to patter a few other lessons. a quick PFL and a few circuits and then it's back to the club house for tea and stickie buns.

well, that was my test anyhoo.