PDA

View Full Version : 767 question, regarding the l&r nav box and the centre ils box

pby5a
18th Mar 2006, 22:28
Gents,
I am a rooky mechanic somewhere in Europe (:)) and I recently sat in the 767 cockpit admiring all the dials and switches while getting some info on the operation on various things from the ground engineer. As I am also a licensed pilot but yet unemployed as such this was all very interesting. We noticed that in the left and right nav box in the glareshield we were unable to set ils freqs. Only the ils box, the centre navbox i thought first, in the pedestal could do this. My question was then, what if this (centre) ils control panel fails, how do you set the ils freq? The engineer thought, thats it, fly a vor appr, but I can't believe that you have 3 ils reveivers only to be set by one box, seems to me as a bottleneck, a waste of the redundancy. I know you 76 jocks probably usually set it all through the fmc, but if we just forget the fmc for now ;) , ...how...what...where...when:confused: ?? We browsed the aom somewhat, but there was not enough info.
Thanks for the efforts in advance. I know there are loads of things I don't know of this aircraft, but this is one thing I would like to know.
Cheers.
pby

BSD
18th Mar 2006, 23:15
PBY5A

Great title I must say!

Try this: I think you will find on the 757/767 that if the ILS selector on the aft electronics stand fails, loses power, blanks whatever, it can still tune the 3 ILS receivers for you.

Select the EHSI to ILS ( or app mode depending on the fit/age of the particlar aeroplane ) and you will see the ILS bearing displayed, together with the frequency in the bottom right of the screen I believe.

Turning the frequency selector and the course selector of the seemingly inert cntre stand selector box will change the bearing/frequency displayed on the EHSI, and similarly select that frequency etc for you.

Don't worry, you wouldn't have to fly a VOR approach!

Having said all that, customer spec. may influence how things work and there may be differences from one aeroplane to the other.

Hope you get to fly one someday, the old girls are just lovely to fly.

BSD.

dusk2dawn
19th Mar 2006, 06:33
in the left and right nav box in the glareshield we were unable to set ils freqsJust below the freq display on the MCP panel (glareshield) you'll find a square switch wich has to be in "MAN" if you want to set the freq. When in "AUTO" the FMC controls the freq.

Check Airman
19th Mar 2006, 06:53
Just below the freq display on the MCP panel (glareshield) you'll find a square switch wich has to be in "MAN" if you want to set the freq. When in "AUTO" the FMC controls the freq.

NAV 1 and 2 cannot be used to tune ILS freqs. Niether in MAN nor AUTO modes.

dusk2dawn
19th Mar 2006, 22:33
OK, so I missed the "ILS" bit but you still can't tune anything in AUTO :O

pby5a
20th Mar 2006, 22:45
thanks BSD!
Excellent reply. In the ops man it indeed said, set the ehsi to ils, but all i could find was the appr mode, but thats it then. Now I get it. I'm gonna go and suprise this engineer with all my knowledge :)
Have you been flying the 76? Lately there was an old 76 jock on the floor curious of where the ox bottles were placed and such. Really great when a pilot comes down to the hangar out of interest. But we stood there talking and out of all the ac he had flown he liked the 76 the best. "It was as if all things came together in that ac." Man o man, I hope I ever get the chance of sitting up front (and getting payed for it) ;) Any plane will do.
Anyways, thanks for the swift answer.
pby5a
Ps, yeah, the title, I just love Cats...