PDA

View Full Version : Fire fighting and First Aid course interchangeable?

kissmysquirrel
16th Mar 2006, 17:45
By this I don't mean in themselves but if someone was to have completed say 3 or 4 multiple day Fire Fighting courses, including a residential stay at Moreton on the Marsh fire training college, then would this suffice for a commercial operators requirement? Same goes for First Aid course ie, having already done a few 3 day First Aid courses but with the addition of leaning to another industry apart from avaition. First Aid is First Aid. Fire Fighting is Fire Fighting. Surely?

Any comments or knowledge of whether these courses would count, would be appreciated.

rove'd
16th Mar 2006, 20:03
I take it you are new to Aviation? There are differencies between one fire fighting course and another, likewise to a lesser degree first aid courses. I once had the misfortune to be on the scene of a light aircraft crash and the local retained fire crew who showed up knew nothing about dealing with a light aircraft incident, so it shows there are many facets to these various disciplines.

Courses such as you have mentioned need to be approved, so generic courses would not be acceptable to the Authority.

However, the good news is they are transferable between employers providing they are in date (3 years). Ditching drills are now only done once in your whole career, bizarre but true, as it was always fun splashing around in the local swimming pool with the latest intake of delectable hosties.... :p