PDA

View Full Version : anti ice fluid colour

russianred
15th Mar 2006, 17:32
Hi,
could someone confirm anti-ice fluid colour.

Max Revs
15th Mar 2006, 17:56
Russianred,
The colouring of de-ice fluid is as follows:
Type 1 fluid is clear (colourless.)
Type 11 fluid is straw coloured.
Type 1V fluid is Green.:ok:

russianred
15th Mar 2006, 18:17
Cheers guys.
Just settling a bet. I know ...we need to get out more.

The Bartender
16th Mar 2006, 08:55
Russianred,
The colouring of de-ice fluid is as follows:
Type 1 fluid is clear (colourless.)
Type 11 fluid is straw coloured.
Type 1V fluid is Green.:ok:

Where is this?

Type I fluid is red/orange
Type II fluid is clear/yellowish
Type IV fluid is green

Ice-bore
16th Mar 2006, 09:37
Type I fluid is red/orange
Type II fluid is clear/yellowish
Type IV fluid is green

As I understand it the current fluid specs. allow any fluid to be undyed (uncoloured), however, where a dyed fluid is required/specified it must be coloured as Bartender suggests.

OverRun
19th Mar 2006, 06:00
The Bartender,
The challenge is irresistible - where are your recipes?

Strawberry Tumanski
50ml De-icing Fluid I
Half a Lime
3 Strawberries
6 Fresh Mint Leaves
3 Brown sugar cubes
Quarter the lime & strawberries and muddle in a rocks glass with the sugar and mint
Add the De-Icing Fluid and then fill the glass with crushed ice

Whitney Wallbanger
50ml Vodka
12.5ml Type II De-icing Fluid
Fresh Orange juice
Into a highball filled with ice pour the vodka and orange juice
Then float the De-icing Fluid on the top

Rocketovski
200ml Type IV De-icing Fluid
Zhigulovskoye Beer - 100g.
Sadko (shampoo) - 30g.
Dandruff control solution - 70g.
B F glue - 15g.
Brake fluid - 30g.
Insecticide - 20g.
Sprig of mint
Into a large jug, pour everything
Garnish with the sprig of mint

The Bartender
19th Mar 2006, 11:55
Nice ones... :ok:

I would consider leaving out the sugar from the Strawberry Tumanski, as the Type I-fluid has more than enough sweet taste to go around... :}

Richard Spandit
19th Mar 2006, 13:58
Ask one of our, now retired, senior training pilots when I presented him with a dish of what I thought was hydraulic fluid. "No" says he, "looks like de-icing fluid to me, you can tell by the taste". Being first day on the job, who was I to argue?

After dipping his finger in it and pressing the droplet to his tongue, he conceeded that it was, indeed, hydraulic fluid... idiot :D

HZ123
19th Mar 2006, 14:27
BA and its GSA only use Type 4 and I thought due to environmental reasons the other types would gradually be withdrawn?

The Bartender
19th Mar 2006, 23:23
As far as i know, the use of Type 4 has been abandoned in scandinavia due to problems with re-hydration and subsequent frozen elevators...

...and guess what? ...when the Type 4 was gone, so were the above mentioned problems...:suspect:

I guess Type 1 and 2 will be here for a while longer... The enviroment is one thing, but let's keep aviation safety as the top priority for now... :ok:

But no matter what, there is no way Type 4 can replace Type 1 when it comes to de-iceing.. A Type 1-mix packs more heat and pressure for removing snow and ice from the surfaces...

Even when diluted to a 50% mix, the Type 4 has too high viscosity to be efficient in removing anything more than frost... IMHO that is...:hmm:

As for finding out if it's hydraulic-fluid or de-iceing fluid, you can feel the difference.... The hydraulic-fluid feels dry, while de-iceing fluid is a lot more slippery... :ok: