PDA

View Full Version : Air Deccan ATR off runway at Bangalore

satyanu28
15th Mar 2006, 11:56
a report..

"Air Deccan flight overshoots runway
By: PTI
March 11, 2006

Bangalore: Coimbatore- Banglore Air Deccan aircraft carrying 40 passengers and two crew members overshot the runway by a few yards during landing at the airport here today due to a possible undercarriage problem or tyre burst but all on board were safe.

The ATR 72-500 coming in from Coimbatore "appeared to have a problem with the undercarriage or it could be a tyre burst and the aircraft came to a stop a few yards off the runway. A full investigation is being carried out," Air Deccan Chief Operating Officer Warwick Brady said.

He said it was "a minor landing incident and all the passengers and crew are safe".

Three passengers who suffered "minor bruises" were treated at the airport's health care unit while two others with swelling in their legs had been taken to Manipal Hospital to get X-rays done "as we suspect hairline fractures", Airport Health Officer Dr V C Shanmuganandhan told reporters.

The runway was closed to air traffic for nearly five hours after the incident.

He said the ATR was a "brand new" aircraft inducted into the airline on November 19, 2005 and dismissed suggestions of a pilot error as Capt Roger Zibr was an experienced pilot." .....end of report.

The rumour is that the pilot flared too early, over corrected, landing on the nose wheel and breaking it, then tilting back and hitting the tail before coming to a stop....obviously out of the runway.

I had shot a picture of an Air Deccan ATR landing atleast 15ft off the runway centreline in Chennai. When I showed the picture to one of the officers at the company, he said,"thats why the runway is so wide".

Incidentally the Bangalore runway is the widest in India. Probably not `wide enough' though....

Jet2
15th Mar 2006, 12:10
He said the ATR was a "brand new" aircraft inducted into the airline on November 19, 2005 and dismissed suggestions of a pilot error as Capt Roger Zibr was an experienced pilot."

What a ridiculous thing to say, particularly by the Chief Operating Officer!

Clandestino
15th Mar 2006, 13:01
Incidentally the Bangalore runway is the widest in India

...but look how short it is!!!:}

satyanu28
15th Mar 2006, 14:23
It was also said by the chief operating officer that,"This is a minor incident which can happen to any airline and is among the most common problems encountered"

readywhenreaching
15th Mar 2006, 14:31
here´s a small pic of it

http://www.jacdec.de/news/news.htm

Voeni
15th Mar 2006, 20:41
Interesting... I parked next to the ATR72 (which is now on the apron close to THR 09) in Bangalore yesterday and took off today and wondered what might have happened, so it's quite funny for me to see this post today.

The aircraft is parked with heavy damage to the undercarriage and some damage to the windows and upper part. To me it seemed that it's probably impossible to restore the aircraft with this kind of heavy damage and no one actually took care about it...

Airbus_a321
16th Mar 2006, 13:07
It was also said by the chief operating officer that,"This is a minor incident which can happen to any airline and is among the most common problems encountered"

This is Indian airline culture ???