View Full Version : Sitting in the jumpseat on Euro-flights

bjratchf
14th Mar 2006, 18:42
I will be taking a vacation in Europe and wanted to fly (using some ZED fares) to Innsbruck, Austria. I have always wanted to see the approach to this airport from the front... would I (in uniform and with my FAA licenses, Airline-Identification Badge) be able to sit in the jumpseat, or are european jumpseats closed to non-JAA pilots? Are there any special policies for obtaining a jumpseat pass (in the USA, we just go to the gate and request a jumpseat pass if there are no seats in back or we just dont want to sit in back. Discression always remains with the captain though).

Thanks,
Brendan
US Airways Express

FE Hoppy
14th Mar 2006, 19:25
Unfortunately on this side of the pond there is no real jumpseat privilage like in the states. If you know the airline involved you my be able to obtain a flight deck pass but each airline has its own rules.

Piltdown Man
14th Mar 2006, 23:29
With the pleasant people that pass for "Security", I'm truly amazed that they even let us through at times to sit in the front bit with windows. But in reality, I would not count on sitting in the flight deck of any European airline. That request could only go into the "Too Difficult" basket of the Chief Pilot.

Voeni
15th Mar 2006, 20:51
Just ask the crew and tell 'em what you've posted...
You might be lucky, and you've got nothing to lose. Although no one admits, it's definitely easier to get on a jump seat in Europe than in the States...

NB. But just don't show up in uniform and FAA license! That's ridiculous! Most Europeans do think different than Americans in this matter, and pilots do not usually walk like wannabe-heros in uniforms around as in the States... (just my thoughts...)

Hotel Mode
15th Mar 2006, 20:55
If you're with a british carrier then not much hope, but if not why not hire a light aircraft and do it yourself! INN is one of those places we should all do once, a very humbling approach, great when you're current on it.

Re-Heat
15th Mar 2006, 21:28
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211151&page=2

Don't wear uniform. Don't ask on a UK carrier. Potentially possible in Europe.

FlyFree
16th Mar 2006, 08:58
Here in Europe, some aircrew have a habbit of introducing themselfs, and showing ID, to the SCA, upon bording.

I think it's a nice habbit, ( incase, that you have to pay for a coffe, it's usaully free :ok:

It's also always nice for them to know there is a ABP, incase the s*** hits the fan, they can use you....

They usally say, that you can stick your head in and say hello to the cockpit, if the crew seams nice, you can ask, or sometimes they just say, " wanna ride up here"' ?

But, as said it is from airline to airline....

Good luck.