View Full Version : How close can I taxi to another aircraft?

ejectx3
14th Mar 2006, 15:32
Hey all,

having rummaged through CAO's to find an answer, all I could come up with is that is a limitation of 8m on operating an engine to another engine, or that turbojet cannot be operated above idle with another a/c closer that 46m behind (from memory as I am typing this).

Is there any limitation anywhere in the world on how close you can pull up behind another aircraft whilst taxiing?

Cheers in advance,

EJ

Capt Claret
15th Mar 2006, 05:08
An excerpt from CAO 20.9, Section 5.1.4 . Pertinent bits in bold.

5.1.4 An aircraft engine shall not be started or operated:
(a) within 5 metres (17 ft) of any sealed building; or
(b) within 8 metres (25 ft) of other aircraft; or
(c) within 15 metres (50 ft) of any exposed public area; or
and turbine engines, in addition, shall not be operated within the appropriate distance specified below of any other aircraft, fuelling equipment or exposed public areas which lie to the rear of and within a 15 degree arc either side of the exhaust outlet axis of that engine:

Turbo-prop: At or below normal slow taxiing power 15m (50 ft). At power used to initiate movement of a stationary aircraft 23m (75 ft).

Turbo-jet: At or below normal slow taxiing thrust 30m (100 ft). At thrust used to initiate movement of a stationary aircraft 46m (150 ft).

Note: Fuelling equipment does not include equipment and outlet points of an installation located below ground level when the equipment is stowed and covering hatches are in place.

My summation: 8m from a piston, and for sanity's sake, 23m from a T/prop and 46m from a turbo jet.

And I'd advocate the higher distances because it's no good to you to be 30m behind a turbojet when it stops unexpectedly and then you wear the break away thrust. Even though as written, the onus is on the engine in front, not many of us look in the rearview mirror before moving away. :}

As an aside, years ago after parking a DH8 at a mine in WA and during unloading, a miner mentioned to me that I'd really fornicated with the refueller's shed. I asked him what he meant and he pointed to the shed, which had blown off its concrete slab, and straddled a barbed wire fence some 20m behind where it should have been. This was just from the wash of the props when they feathered prior to shut down.

DH8 - 1, refueller's shed - 0 :8

fireflybob
19th Mar 2006, 17:35
Excuse my ignorance but what does CAO stand for?!

If these are not UK regs can anyone give me the ref for the equivalent rules in the UK - thanks.

Capt Claret
20th Mar 2006, 04:06
Civil Aviation Orders from the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

ejectx3
21st Mar 2006, 23:18
An excerpt from CAO 20.9, Section 5.1.4 . Pertinent bits in bold.

My summation: 8m from a piston, and for sanity's sake, 23m from a T/prop and 46m from a turbo jet.

And I'd advocate the higher distances because it's no good to you to be 30m behind a turbojet when it stops unexpectedly and then you wear the break away thrust. Even though as written, the onus is on the engine in front, not many of us look in the rearview mirror before moving away. :}

As an aside, years ago after parking a DH8 at a mine in WA and during unloading, a miner mentioned to me that I'd really fornicated with the refueller's shed. I asked him what he meant and he pointed to the shed, which had blown off its concrete slab, and straddled a barbed wire fence some 20m behind where it should have been. This was just from the wash of the props when they feathered prior to shut down.

DH8 - 1, refueller's shed - 0 :8

Yeah thats all I could find too. Thanks