PDA

View Full Version : MELs for light aircraft?

Benix
13th Mar 2006, 23:05
Some of our aircraft (like the majority of the GA fleet) are getting rather tired and various bits dont seem to be being replaced/fixed when they break. I've had a look through the cessna manuals but there doesnt seem to be any kind of MEL or similar advice in there.

Its the general things that normally start to go in old aircraft for example: EGT guage, Carb Ice guage, cabin heat, com2 box u/s, obs knob u/s, door cards and interior cracked and falling apart, landing lights rarely being replaced when blown, parking brakes u/s etc, DI stuck etc. Mostly small niggly things, but add up when you get several of them on the same aircraft.

As the PIC the decision to fly is obviously mine at the end of the day, and im willing to put up with most of the faults that occur, but would just be nice to know if the manufacturer recommends/states that various systems have to be fully operational to be fit to fly or whether some faults are allowed (with or with limitations)...

Check Airman
13th Mar 2006, 23:55
Some of our aircraft (like the majority of the GA fleet) are getting rather tired and various bits dont seem to be being replaced/fixed when they break. I've had a look through the cessna manuals but there doesnt seem to be any kind of MEL or similar advice in there.

Its the general things that normally start to go in old aircraft for example: EGT guage, Carb Ice guage, cabin heat, com2 box u/s, obs knob u/s, door cards and interior cracked and falling apart, landing lights rarely being replaced when blown, parking brakes u/s etc, DI stuck etc. Mostly small niggly things, but add up when you get several of them on the same aircraft.

As the PIC the decision to fly is obviously mine at the end of the day, and im willing to put up with most of the faults that occur, but would just be nice to know if the manufacturer recommends/states that various systems have to be fully operational to be fit to fly or whether some faults are allowed (with or with limitations)...

I think the Cessna 172 R/SP POH's come with a MEL. The school or club should have one in the planes flight bag for updated reference3 though.

A and C
14th Mar 2006, 06:57
This is a can of worms that you don't want to open !. If GA was run with an MEL in the same way as an airline it would push the maintenance price up by 200%, just use a little common sence when you fly an aircraft.

Remember you are flying late 1940's technology not an Airbus.

mad_jock
14th Mar 2006, 08:24
I had to sus out a MEL for a A to A AOC for a cessna.

If you speak to the flight ops inspectors they refer you to a FAA MMEL for SEP light aircraft.

Day VFR really is only a compass, a clock, ASI and Altimeter.

The trims ony become an Issue when they are deemed dangerous to the occupant in the event of a crash.

I suspect the only thing that could be said is that the US items haven't been removed or placarded U/S.

And I don't blame them for not replacing landing lights they are 30 quid a go. And the way some people have been trained to use them they can blow with under a days use in the circuit. And also I suspect you might find that they are disconnected and only reconnected for instructors doing night ratings or a night hire.

Flying Farmer
14th Mar 2006, 08:24
Just a thought Benix is there anything in the flying order book?

Julian
14th Mar 2006, 08:41
E.g.

http://www.opspecs.com/AFSDATA/MMELs/Final/smallac/A1%20Single%20Eng%20R5/A1%20%20SE%20R5.doc

Julian.

Islander2
14th Mar 2006, 09:25
For G-registered aircraft, the minimum aircraft equipment legally required for flying in various circumstances is specified in Schedule 4 of the ANO, while the minimum radio comm. and radio nav. equipment required for flight in UK airspace is set out in Schedule 5.

Of course, if an MEL is contained within the limitations section of the POH/AFM, this is also legally binding.

Benix
14th Mar 2006, 23:34
@ CA - possibly with the new build ones, but these are N and Ps and our POHs dont have a MEL that I can see.

@ A&C - indeed. Dont think there is a single aircraft with everything 100% working in the GA sector that ive come across! Just get a bit frustrating when 1/2 the stuff fitted dont work. Especially when its a bit of a murky day and you could really do with taking a quick radial of something for piece of mind to find that the OBS knob's stuck..

@ FF - yeah nothing in there looked

@ Julian - Thanks mate thats an interesting read. Better drop the hint that they better get the clocks fixed to be legal, as most of them dont work either ;)

mad_jock
15th Mar 2006, 10:39
Julian thats the very document.

Clocks need to be onboard ie your personal watch will do. And its up to the PIC to ensure that they have one.

I doudt very much in the UK you will find a MEL unless the plane is being used for commercial work. And even then it will be different for each different AoC holder.

Julian
15th Mar 2006, 10:50
No problem.

I have been looking into this myself out of personal interest. Our PA28-201-RT is on the N Reg and so was interested to find out.

Wasnt the easiest to find as the doc title isnt exactly self explanatory!!!:}

Julian.