PDA

View Full Version : Canada and employment...

sam34
12th Mar 2006, 09:55
hello!

could you tell me how is the employment in Canada please? is it better than Uk ?
actually I am studying the theory atpl jaa in France.

rigpiggy
13th Mar 2006, 01:20
Only in Canada you say, Pity. Chances are infinitely better over your way here a 1000 hrs, is required to be a Caravan F/O, unless you have at least that number your CV will just as likely end up in the round file! Better off to get some time over there, and after your ATPL's come and write the 2 exams"yes not 14" do a ride, and your medical then your good to go. Of course you'll take a huge paycut coming over, but it's a fantastic place to live.

Richard Spandit
13th Mar 2006, 03:04
The Canadian FTL's leave a lot to be desired... that said, the accident rate is low, as far as I know

Blah Blah Fishpaste
15th Mar 2006, 07:08
How about the major carriers? or airline operators rahter? Any idea on salaries etc?:cool:

Thinking of a nwew start in life and have decent experience across the board and have always loved Canada so its time to gather the gen.:8

mellofello
15th Mar 2006, 14:58
If you are coming to Canada as an experienced pilot you will face an uphill battle. That is not to say that it is impossible. Suffice to say, if you already have a connection to Canada by way of citizenship or landed immigrant status you have one less hurdle to face.

There is no shortage of pilots, though there is a shortage of higher time experienced pilots working for smaller carriers. Not too many of the smaller carriers have clued into the fact that perhaps it is time they start treating the ones they do have a little better. If you come here with experience you should be able to bypass some of the hurdles faced by a low timer but don't expect to waltz into an Airline job. On that note, starting pay (with a Major Airline) here is about $35K to $60K depending on the carrier.

Blah Blah Fishpaste
16th Mar 2006, 06:50
Thanks melloman, that helps alot. Its not the kind of thing to rush into so gathering gen for now.

Thanks again!

inmyginch747
16th Mar 2006, 17:05
Air Canada is looking at hiring at least 240 guy's this year and at least 400 in the next 3-4 years. Pay is a little low to start $50G but within two years you could make over $90G right seat on the A320. Just a quick note it is a good life, good time off and good benifits. The union is a little messed up but then again who isn't these days. Take Care.

BartBandy
16th Mar 2006, 17:10
Air Canada is looking at hiring at least 240 guy's this year and at least 400 in the next 3-4 years. Pay is a little low to start $50G

Ha! Try $37 G.:eek:

Nuuk
21st Mar 2006, 02:40
For the wannabee, just don't come here, you are not welcomed.

Blah Blah Fishpaste
21st Mar 2006, 06:52
Thats actually quite disturbing Nuuk, care to elaborate?

mellofello
21st Mar 2006, 11:34
Nuuk - Pull your head out of your :mad: . There are many a canuck working overseas in all corners of the world. Though it may appear to you that someone from abroad may be taking work from someone out hear, wake up they will have to jump hurdles like everyone else.

secret_pilot
21st Mar 2006, 15:29
For the wannabee, just don't come here, you are not welcomed.

Just where is here Nuuk? :zzz:

Seems you had a lot to say about EK and Dubai recently! Are you here in Canada, or here in Dubai?

Most of the Canadians I've met so far are welcoming, don't know where Nuuk's coming from. I've been here six months now, and I think it great - go for it! :ok:

UB6IB9
21st Mar 2006, 23:24
nuks an idiot....or just can't find a job. everyone's welcome over here in the big c. aviation's global...get with the times. come on ova!!!

cheers

Blah Blah Fishpaste
22nd Mar 2006, 08:29
Well that does sound alot more like it! All the folk ive met in the past from The big C have all been cool so i guess we will just avoid the likes of nuuk. ;)